Title: Outreach & Communications Coordinator
Location: Sacramento, CA
The Position/Role: CAIR Sacramento Valley is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill the newly created Communications & Outreach Coordinator position.
Join one of the most dynamic teams defending civil rights on behalf of the American Muslim community and strengthening the image of Islam and American Muslims in the media.
Time Commitment: Full-time with periodic evenings and weekends required for presentations and community outreach events.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Working with Islamic centers, MSAs, and other faith communities and communities of color on a variety of social justice issues.
- Recruiting and establishing relationships with volunteers and community activists.
- Providing presence at relevant organizations’ (college campuses, nonprofits, mosques, etc.) events, activities, and meetings.
- Delivering CAIR-SV public educations programs, interactive workshops, training sessions, and forums.
- Developing and strengthening relationships with journalists, editors, bloggers and other media professionals.
- Preparing news releases and organizing news conferences.
- Writing opinion pieces and letters to the editor.
- Conducting as well as coordinating media interviews; preparing statements and talking points.
- Proactively work with media to generate comprehensive coverage of Islam and American Muslims
- Directing media campaigns and projects.
- Maintaining website and social media presence including regular updates and the creation of original content.
- Sending out email newsletter and updates to community members regularly.
- Assisting D.C. office with media work around national issues and campaigns.
- Providing digital and print marketing support for CAIR programs and events.
- Managing graphic design, photography, layout, video editing and other multimedia needs.
- Creating marketing materials such as posters, fliers, print newsletters, e-mail newsletters, and announcements while upholding brand awareness and standards in all marketing materials.
- Researching and implementing the use of new technologies to enhance CAIR-SV’s communications (as needed).
- Ensuring all communications adheres to CAIR’s core values and mission.
- Facilitating the research and development of content for publication including annual reports.
- Supervising interns to support department needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications/Public Relations/Journalism or related field.
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills; knowledge of AP style preferred.
- Experience with public speaking.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook software.
- Working knowledge of Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, and WordPress.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics (preferred).
- Excellent oral and written communication and managerial skills to interface with media professionals, community leaders, volunteers, donors, and staff in a professional and effective manner.
- Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic.
- Must have capability to work on multiple projects or tasks at a time.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work well on tight deadlines.
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the greater Sacramento and Central Valley regions for events and outreach.
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and Muslim community desired.
- Conversational proficiency in Arabic, Farsi or Urdu (preferred).
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission.
This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.