(Exempt, Full-time position)
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, Greater Los Angeles Area Chapter (CAIR-LA) is a non-profit grassroots civil rights and advocacy organization aimed at enhancing understanding of Islam, encouraging dialogue, protecting civil liberties, empowering American Muslims, and building coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding. CAIR-LA’s Immigrants’ Rights Center (IRC) is dedicated to advancing rights of low-income Arab, Muslim, Middle Eastern, and South Asian (AMEMSA) immigrant communities. The Center’s clients include individuals seeking a wide range of immigration benefits. The Immigrants’ Rights Attorney will represent clients before USCIS, EOIR, and BIA.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide legal representation to individuals facing removal proceedings in Los Angeles Immigration Court
- Conduct client intake, and prepare applications and petitions for submission to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Participate in community outreach and educational activities, including legal clinics and know your rights presentations
- Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, legal articles, and legal codes
- Prepare legal documents such as memos, briefs, and motions
- Current bar membership in any state, admission to the California State Bar preferred
- 2 – 3 years of immigration law experience, removal and criminal-immigration defense experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and immigrants’ rights
- Excellent written, oral and analytical skills
- Meticulous attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and an ability to meet strict deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure required
- Familiarity with Westlaw and other legal search engines, proficiency in legal research
- Cultural competency in working with low income and AMEMSA immigrant communities
This position reports to the Immigrants’ Rights Managing Attorney.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- BAR membership, CLE funding support, and malpractice insurance
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.