Position: Full-time salaried
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization with chapters across the country. The national headquarters is located on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.
CAIR's vision is to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding. Its core mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR is seeking a full time Strategic Communications Manager for its Washington D.C. chapter. This position will report to the National Communications Director.
The Strategic Communications Manager is responsible for strategic communications planning and execution to carry out CAIR’s mission and vision with various stakeholders and audiences.
The Strategic Communications Manager is primarily responsible for:
- Researching issues related to CAIR’s mission and vision
- Producing CAIR’s annual report and annual video
- Compiling and distributing daily and quarterly newsletters
- Monitoring news for information related to CAIR’s mission and vision
- Setting strategic communications objectives for the organization and developing a strategic communications plan
- Advising key staff on strategic communications initiatives
- Creating messaging and talking points on issues related to CAIR’s mission and vision
- Reporting on political and societal trends impacting CAIR’s mission and vision
- Researching and writing commentaries and editorials related to CAIR’s mission and vision
- Initiating strategic marketing and communications campaigns in line with CAIR’s mission and vision
- Producing video, print and graphic materials in support of strategic marketing and communications campaigns
- Managing social media campaigns to maximize communication of CAIR’s mission and vision
- Representing CAIR in media interviews
- Facilitating coalition-building with communicators at organizations that support CAIR’s mission and vision
- Training and coaching of CAIR staff and members of the public as requested
- Managing and directing communications staff under leadership of national communications director
- Drafting news releases, media kits, action alerts, statements, and other communications materials
- Travel and weekend hours required on occasion
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience in journalism, media relations and/or marketing and communications
- Bachelor's degree or higher in journalism, communications or a related field
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and understandable manner for internal/external communications
- Excellent news writing and editing skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong social media skills/understanding
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Thorough knowledge of social media tools, including Twitter and Facebook.
- Knowledge of media databases and tools such as Cision, TVEyes, Meltwater
- Two weeks training in communications department’s working and operations.
How to Apply