U.S. Mosques Urged to Reach out with 'Sharing Ramadan' Iftars
(WASHINGTON, DC - 10/7/04) - Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said that
Ramadan "is the month of sharing with others." (Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 614)
Based on that tradition and on the growing level of Islamophobia in
American society, CAIR is calling on Muslim communities nationwide to hold
"Sharing Ramadan" iftars and mosque open houses for people of other faiths
to help promote better understanding of Islam and Muslims.
Recent CAIR research has shown as many as 1-in-4 Americans hold anti-Muslim
views. That same research indicates that anti-Muslim prejudice decreases
when people have access to accurate information about Islam and relate to
"Since sharing and appreciation are essential components of Ramadan, we
hope local mosques, community centers and Islamic schools will take this
opportunity to invite their neighbors to join in an iftar meal," said CAIR
Executive Director Nihad Awad.
CAIR is helping local communities organize what is hoped to become an
annual effort by providing step-by-step instructions for hosting a "Sharing
Ramadan" iftar. The "SHARING RAMADAN" RESOURCE GUIDE is available online
at: http://www.cair-net.org/downloads/ramadan.pdf and
'SHARING RAMADAN" KIT TABLE OF CONTENTS
* Welcome Letter from CAIR Director
* Step-by-Step Guide to Organizing an Iftar
* Sample Media Advisory
* Welcome to Our Ramadan Fast-Breaking Brochure
* Ramadan FAQs
* Islam/American Muslims FAQs
* Sample Event Program
* Sample Newspaper Ad
1) FORM A 'SHARE RAMADAN' COMMITTEE in your community to help in this
effort. Once a "Share Ramadan" committee has been formed, please email
communities participating in this nationwide initiative.
2) COPY AND USE the materials in the "Sharing Ramadan" kit.
3) CONTACT A LOCAL CAIR OFFICE for help in organizing the iftar. To find
CAIR chapter contact information, go to:
4) SEND CAIR photos and video of your event. (Also count the number of
5) BECOME A CAIR MEMBER or DONATE to help us carry out this important work.
GO TO: http://www.cair-net.org (Click on "support.")
- PLEASE ANNOUNCE, POST AND DISTRIBUTE -
Order Tickets Now for 'Muhammad: the Last Prophet'
Order tickets for the new animated film "Muhammad: The Last Prophet" before
October 25 and receive 25-40% discounts. The film will be released on Eid
ul-Fitr in theaters nationwide. Tickets must be purchased in advance. No
tickets will be sold in theaters.
To purchase tickets and to view the movie's trailer, go to:
Perfect for school trips and eid parties.
SEE: "Film About Prophet Muhammad to Open in Theatres"
CAIR Presidential Election Survey
As-salaamu alaykum: (peace be with you)
ACTION REQUESTED: The American Muslim Task Force on Civil Rights and
Elections (AMT), an umbrella organization made up of 10 national Islamic
groups, will meet Sunday, October 17th to determine whether or not to issue
a presidential endorsement.
To help in that decision-making process, please take a minute to answer the
7 questions in the survey below. (All responses are confidential. NOTE: As
a tax-exempt organization, CAIR does not endorse candidates, but does
encourage voter registration and voting.)
PLEASE RESPOND BY NOON (E) ON FRIDAY, OCTOBER 15.
May Allah bless you for your time and effort.
MAIL: CAIR Survey, 453 New Jersey Avenue, S.E., Washington, D.C., 20003
1. Are you Muslim?
2. Do you plan to vote in the November presidential election?
___ Not sure
3. If you were to vote today, which presidential candidate would you most
likely vote for?
___ George Bush
___ John Kerry
___ Ralph Nader
___ Michael Badnarik
___ Not sure
___ Other - Specify: ________________
4. Which issue is most important to you in determining who to vote for in
the presidential election? __________________________
5. How important were the presidential debates in your choice of a
___ Very important
___ Somewhat important
___ Not important
___ No opinion
6. Which political party most closely reflects your views?
___ Republican Party
___ Democratic Party
___ Green Party
___ Reform Party
___ None of the above
___ Other - Specify: _______________
7. In which state do you live? ________
PLEASE FORWARD A BLANK COPY OF THIS SURVEY TO FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES.