FORT WORTH, Texas - Some foreign students who want a U.S. university degree have learned to cope with a new reality since Sept. 11, 2001: Without careful planning, they can miss semesters or even jeopardize their residency status.
Many international students and visiting scholars say added scrutiny because of their homelands - or even the courses they study - is the norm two years after terrorists attacked the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
Nationwide, delays in registering for classes are shorter this year than last year, according to the nonprofit National Association of Foreign Student Advisers: Association of International Educators, based in Washington, D.C.
The adjustment has been especially profound for students from Middle Eastern or Islamic countries, Muslim community leaders say.
"Why go through the agony?" asked Mohamed Elmougy, chairman of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Fort Worth and Dallas.
"Unfortunately, when I talk to people from the Middle East right now, there is this fear of sending their kids here. They are always fearful of these stories of people being detained..."
A Britannia man's attempt to wire $116 to a friend in the Netherlands has been caught in a U.S. net designed to intercept money to terrorists.
Said Ali, who came to Canada from Somalia in 1991, now has his money frozen by the U.S. firm Western Union because the recipient's name is Mohammed Ali -- a Dutch citizen who is also originally from Somalia.
The name "Mohammed Ali" appears on a list of names linked to terrorism produced by the U.S. Treasury Department.
According to Danielle Jimenez, a spokeswoman for Western Union, if either the sender's or recipient's name appears on that restricted list, the money is frozen until the person with the name appearing on that list can prove his identity.
Mohammed Ali refused to surrender a copy of his passport to Western Union because he "did not want to give his passport number to the United States for fear of what they would do with that number and for his dignity," Said Ali wrote in a letter to Bay Councillor Alex Cullen, to whom he was appealing for help...
JERUSALEM - A Jerusalem court on Wednesday convicted three Israeli settlers for attempting to blow up an Arab girls' school in Jerusalem last year to avenge Palestinian attacks against Jews.
Shlomo Dvir, Yarden Morag and Ofer Gamliel, all from the West Bank settlement of Bat Ayin, were convicted of attempted murder and illegal weapons possession in connection with the failed attack in the Jerusalem Arab neighborhood of A-Tur in April 2002. Sentences will be passed at a later date.
The convictions come against the background of mounting concern over the emergence of a new Jewish ''underground,'' reminiscent of settler vigilantes who attacked Palestinians in the mid-1980s.
The court found that Dvir and Morag parked an explosives-laden trailer outside the main entrance to the school before dawn and set a timer for 7:25 a.m., just as students would be arriving. The attack was aborted when a passing police cruiser became suspicious of the men and found the trailer contained two bricks of explosives, cooking gas canisters, a clock, battery, detonator and fuse.
Gamliel was found to have helped plan the attack.
The judges rejected the defendants' claim that the explosive device was for demonstration purposes only, and there was no intention of harming students at the school...