Position: Full time salaried
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization with chapters across the country. The national headquarters is located on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.
CAIR's vision is to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding. Its core mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR is seeking a full time Legal Assistant/Paralegal for its Washington D.C. chapter. This position will report to the National Litigation Director.
Job responsibilities include assisting litigation attorneys with client intake and in-house litigation regarding civil rights and liberties, employment discrimination, law enforcement harassment, and public accommodations issues.
The Legal Assistant/Paralegal will be primarily responsible for:
- Conducting client intake and keeping detailed and organized case logs;
- Maintaining schedules for litigation attorneys and making necessary travel arrangements;
- Contacting clients, lawyers, witnesses, experts and court personnel to schedule interviews, meetings, depositions and trials;
- Providing ongoing administrative support for pending litigation, including document review, hearing and motion preparation, calendaring impending deadlines, exhibit preparation, and formatting litigation materials for use in court;
- Administrative tasks such as filing papers, maintaining accurate and thorough case records, answering telephone calls, and maintaining and organizing reference files;
- Conducting legal research and gathering relevant information to a case;
- Drafting legal documents, including correspondence and pleadings, such as subpoenas, interrogatories, deposition notices, pretrial orders;
- Corresponding with clients keeping them appraised of any developments with their cases;
- Scheduling appointments, receiving and making telephone calls, drafting and typing office memos, obtaining detailed fact summaries of cases, and other administrative duties; and,
- Assisting the attorneys at depositions, hearings, trials and other court appearances.
- Bachelor’s degree; paralegal degree or certification preferred
- Prior experience in a law firm or other legal experience
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments and meet deadlines; must be able to work well both independently and in a team environment
- Familiarity with local, state and federal filing rules, elementary legal procedures, and legal terminology
- Ability to communicate in language other than English is a plus
- An understanding of civil rights issues relating to American Muslims
- Passion for the mission of the Council on American-Islamic Relations
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, samples of any relevant work and a resume to email@example.com.