CAIR's annual Sharifa Alkhateeb Memorial Community Service Scholarship honors the life and work of local and international community activist Sharifa Alkhateeb. This year's winner of the $1000 scholarship will be announced at CAIR's 20th anniversary banquet on Saturday, September 27th in Arlington, Va. The winner of the scholarship must be present to accept the award.
Applicants must respond to the following essay prompt in 500 words or less:
Describe your vision/approach to effective community building. Drawing from personal community service experiences and/or future goals, you may address what worked well, what didn't work, and what makes your approach unique.
In order to qualify, applicants must:
- Be Muslim
- Be a resident of the DC, Maryland or Virginia area
- Be able to attend CAIR's 20th anniversary banquet on Saturday, September 27, 2014 in Arlington, VA to receive the award in person. Note: CAIR will not be covering any travel expenses related to your attendance. Please consider your ability to attend when determining whether or not to apply!
- Answer the essay question above in 500 words or less.
- Be enrolled in, or accepted to, a full-time undergraduate, graduate or professional program of an accredited college or university in the United States for the fall 2014 semester.
- Submit a resume demonstrating a commitment to social work, conflict resolution or be working on behalf of diversity issues and community building.
- Submit a bio (150 words or less)
- Submit one letter of recommendation.
- Submit a complete application via email no later than August 1, 2014.
Application deadline: August 1, 2014