Title: Immigrants’ Rights Attorney
Schedule Type: Full-Time
Areas of Focus: Immigration and Nationality Law
Location: Santa Clara, CA
The Position/Role: CAIR San Francisco Bay Area is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill the nearly created Immigrants’ Rights Attorney. Join one of the most dynamic teams serving the American Muslim community. This position aims to provide culturally competent immigration legal services to members of the Bay Area Muslim community.
Time Commitment: Full-time with occasional evenings and weekends required.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Conduct client intake, prepare applications and petitions for submission to the appropriate agency
- Represent clients before the USCIS and EOIR
- Manage caseload and supervise related casework
- Oversee efforts to strengthen program policies and procedures
- Oversee work of volunteers, including law students and pro bono attorneys
- Participate in community outreach and educational activities, including planning and conducting legal clinics
- Working in, leading, or forming coalitions with other organizations and collaborating with immigrant communities
- Plan and conduct asylum and naturalization clinics
- Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, legal articles, and legal codes
- Prepare legal documents such as memos, motions, and appeals
- Assess clients for other civil legal service and immigration-related needs and provide inhouse referrals
- Assist other staff in the production of internal and external reports
- Write and secure grants from foundations and corporations to support immigrants’ rights work
- Market immigration services
All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school
- California State Bar admission
- 1-3 years of immigration law experience, specifically in areas of asylum, removal, and naturalization
- Strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability for meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with outstanding attention to detail
- Comfort working productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the greater Bay Area
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
- Basic computer proficiency including knowledge of MS Office, MS Outlook, and WestLaw Next
- Knowledge of cloud applications such as SharePoint, Office365, and social media applications
- Arabic, Farsi, or Urdu proficiency
- Experience working with non-profit organizations
This position reports to the Operations Manager and Executive Director.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
February 15, 2017
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.