(WASHINGTON, D.C., 3/28/2018) – The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, is calling on all Americans who respect the Constitution and value human rights to tell their Senators and members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence to oppose the confirmation of Gina Haspel as the new CIA director.
CLICK HERE TO EMAIL AND CALL THE U.S. SENATE AND SENATE SELECT COMMITTEE ON INTELLIGENCE TO OPPOSE HASPEL’S CONFIRMATION AS CIA DIRECTOR
While at the CIA, Haspel not only oversaw the torture of detainees, but she helped destroy the evidence documenting the abuses in direct violation of U.S. law and executive orders.
“Not only did Haspel personally oversee the torture of an individual, but she also developed a secret laboratory to torture detainees at the CIA’s Thailand ‘black site’ and destroyed evidence to cover up agency abuses. She clearly lacks the moral conscience and fitness to hold any position of authority and responsibility, especially one with grave national security implications, such as the director of the CIA,” said CAIR Government Affairs Department Coordinator Amineh Safi.
In addition to issuing a click-and-send action alert, CAIR is releasing a congressional fact sheet, titled “U.S. Senate: Oppose and Block the Confirmation of Torturer Gina Haspel as CIA Director,” for concerned citizens and activists to forward on to their senators and members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
Members of the public are being asked to take the following actions to oppose and block Haspel’s confirmation as CIA Director:
- Take part in CAIR’s action alert to email and call your state’s U.S. senate delegation and members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence to oppose and block Haspel’s confirmation.
- Read CAIR’s congressional factsheet “U.S. Senate: Oppose and Block the Confirmation of Torturer Gina Haspel to CIA Director,” which can be found here. Forward this factsheet along to your state’s Senate delegation, and members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
- Organize locally. Connect with neighbors, your house of worship, state or city CAIR chapter, and other non-profits interested in requesting the Senate to oppose and block Haspel’s confirmation.
- Call and schedule constituent meetings with your state’s U.S. Senate delegation urging opposition to Haspel’s confirmation should it come to a vote on the Senate floor.
- Contact information for members of the U.S. Senate can be found here.
- Contact information for local CAIR chapters can be found here.
- A checklist on meeting with an elected official and ensuring an effective meeting with an elected official can be found in CAIR’s policy toolkit: “Recognizing American Muslim Contributions in our States.”
- Call the offices of members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence urging them to oppose and block Haspel’s confirmation during the hearing that is reported to take place sometime in April. A call script is provided below.
- Please note: Individuals that live in states that have a senator who serves on the committee can use their influence as a constituent to exert additional pressure.
- Write an editorial for your local newspaper and other online state or regional news forums that your state’s senate delegation is likely to read. Use this press release and the points made by CAIR’s congressional factsheet opposing Haspel’s confirmation. For more helpful suggestions, refer to “13 OP-ED TIPS,” from New York Times writer, Jennifer Finney Boylan.
Contact Information: Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- Committee Chair Richard Burr (Republican, North Carolina)—phone: (202) 224-3154, website click here.
- Committee Vice Chair Mark Warner (Democrat, Virginia)—phone: (202) 224-2023, website click here.
- Senator James Risch (Republican, Idaho)—phone: (202) 224-2752, website: click here.
- Senator Dianne Feinstein (Democrat, California)—phone: (202) 224-3841, website: click here.
- Senator Marco Rubio (Republican, Florida)—phone: (202) 224-3041, website: click here.
- Senator Ron Wyden (Democrat, Oregon)—phone: (202) 224-5244, website: click here.
- Senator Susan Collins (Republican, Maine)—phone: (202)224-2523, website: click here.
- Senator Martin Heinrick (Democrat, New Mexico)—phone: (202) 224-5521, website: click here.
- Senator Ron Blunt (Republicans, Missouri)—phone: (202) 224-5721, website: click here.
- Senator Angus King (Democrat, Maine)—phone: (202) 224-5344, website: click here.
- Senator James Lankford (Republican, Oklahoma)—phone: (202) 224-5754 website: click here.
- Senator Joe Manchin (Democrat, West Virginia)—phone: (202) 224-3954 website: click here.
- Senator Tom Cotton (Republican, Arkansas)—phone: (202) 224-2353 website: click here.
- Senator Kamala Harris (Democrat, California)—phone: (202) 224 - 3553 website: click here.
- Senator John Cornyn (Republican, Texas)—phone: (202) 224-2934 website: click here.
“Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME] and I am calling to urge Senator [NAME OF SENATOR] to “OPPOSE” and “VOTE NO” on the confirmation of Gina Haspel as CIA Director due to her prior experience in overseeing the use of torture, destroying the evidence, and violating federal laws and procedures.
Haspel serving as the CIA Director would provide impunity to those who obstruct justice and dismiss US and international human rights standards. Thank you.”
Report back to CAIR any progress made in pushing your state’s senate delegation or members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence to oppose or block Haspel’s confirmation. Contact CAIR Government Affairs Department Coordinator Amineh Safi by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Haspel Tip.”
CAIR is monitoring a troubling spike in Islamophobic and racist incidents targeting American Muslims and other minority groups that has coincided with the rise of Donald Trump as a presidential candidate and with his election as president.
The Washington-based civil rights and advocacy organization urges community members to report any bias incidents to police and to CAIR's Civil Rights Department at 202-742-6420 or by filing a report at: http://www.cair.com/report
CAIR launched an app to share critical “know your rights” information and to simplify the process to report hate crimes and bias incidents. CAIR is urging American Muslims and members of other minority groups to download the app and utilize this resource to stay informed and empowered.
For a quick download of CAIR’s civil rights app, click here: http://www.cair.com/app
CAIR’s mission is to protect civil rights, enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
- END –