(WASHINGTON, D.C., 5/7/2018) – The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, is again calling on all Americans who respect the Constitution and value human rights to tell their Senators and members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence to oppose the confirmation of Gina Haspel as the new CIA director.
Haspel is scheduled to appear before the committee on Wednesday and reportedly considered withdrawing from the nomination process because of increasing opposition to her past actions.
CLICK HERE TO EMAIL AND CALL THE U.S. SENATE AND SENATE SELECT COMMITTEE ON INTELLIGENCE TO OPPOSE HASPEL’S CONFIRMATION AS CIA DIRECTOR
While at the CIA, Haspel not only oversaw the torture of detainees, but she helped destroy the evidence documenting the abuses in direct violation of U.S. law and executive orders.
In addition to issuing a click-and-send action alert, CAIR is releasing a congressional fact sheet, titled “U.S. Senate: Oppose and Block the Confirmation of Torturer Gina Haspel as CIA Director,” for concerned citizens and activists to forward on to their senators and members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
Members of the public are being asked to take the following actions to oppose and block Haspel’s confirmation as CIA Director:
- Take part in CAIR’s action alert to email and call your state’s U.S. senate delegation and members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence to oppose and block Haspel’s confirmation.
- Read CAIR’s congressional factsheet “U.S. Senate: Oppose and Block the Confirmation of Torturer Gina Haspel to CIA Director,” which can be found here. Forward this factsheet along to your state’s Senate delegation, and members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.
- Organize locally. Connect with neighbors, your house of worship, state or city CAIR chapter, and other non-profits interested in requesting the Senate to oppose and block Haspel’s confirmation.
- Call and schedule constituent meetings with your state’s U.S. Senate delegation urging opposition to Haspel’s confirmation should it come to a vote on the Senate floor.
- Contact information for members of the U.S. Senate can be found here.
- Contact information for local CAIR chapters can be found here.
- A checklist on meeting with an elected official and ensuring an effective meeting with an elected official can be found in CAIR’s policy toolkit: “Recognizing American Muslim Contributions in our States.”
- Call the offices of members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence urging them to oppose and block Haspel’s confirmation during the hearing that is reported to take place sometime in April. A call script is provided below.
- Please note: Individuals that live in states that have a senator who serves on the committee can use their influence as a constituent to exert additional pressure.
- Write an editorial for your local newspaper and other online state or regional news forums that your state’s senate delegation is likely to read. Use this press release and the points made by CAIR’s congressional factsheet opposing Haspel’s confirmation. For more helpful suggestions, refer to “13 OP-ED TIPS,” from New York Times writer, Jennifer Finney Boylan.
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 4/26/18) -- The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today urged the nation’s Muslim community to prepare for the upcoming holy month of Ramadan by better understanding their legal rights in the workplace and school.
Helpful tips to remember when asking for a Religious Accommodation from your Employer:
- Familiarize yourself with your employer’s procedures for requesting religious accommodations;
- Make it clear that you are requesting the accommodation because of your sincere religious belief or practice;
- Make the formal request to your direct supervisor or to the person designated by company policy;
- Follow up your formal request in writing; and
- Parents are encouraged to contact their children’s schools and teachers in advance to request religious accommodations for their children during Ramadan. Continue the conversation with your employer.
Accommodation requests can include being excused from strenuous physical activity and a day off for upcoming Eid religious holiday.
For assistance requesting a religious accommodation, community members are encouraged to contact their local CAIR chapter or CAIR's Civil Rights Department by filing a report at http://www.cair.com/report or by calling CAIR’s civil rights hotline at 202-742-6420.
Action Alert: CAIR Urges Participation in April 25 #NoMuslimBanEver Rally Outside U.S. Supreme Court
Rally to coincide with Supreme Court hearing oral arguments on Trump’s ‘Muslim Ban 3.0
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 4/24/18) -- On Wednesday, April 25, as the U.S. Supreme Court hears oral arguments in the case challenging President Trump’s “Muslim Ban 3.0,” the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) will join a coalition of national and local civil and human rights groups and American Muslim organizations for a #NoMuslimBanEver rally outside the Supreme Court building.
For more information, visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/442545896184308/
CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad will be one of the featured speakers during the event.
“This rally will show that the Muslim community, in coalition with the others minority communities under attack by this administration, are mobilizing against President Trump’s unconstitutional anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant and anti-refugee agenda,” said CAIR Government Affairs Director Robert McCaw.
WHAT: #NoMuslimBanEver Rally
WHEN: Wednesday, April 25, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
WHERE: Outside the Supreme Court of the United States, 1 First St NE, Washington, DC 20543
CONTACT: CAIR Government Affairs Director Robert McCaw, 202-742-6448, email@example.com
The #NoMuslimBanEver campaign, a coalition of national and local civil and human rights groups and American Muslim organizations, is mobilizing and organizing events around the country to help lead the fight against President Trump’s latest unconstitutional Muslim ban, as well as other discriminatory immigration policies that criminalize and negatively impact American Muslim communities across the country.
#NoMuslimBanEver coalition members previously co-sponsored a rally and march outside the White House on October 18, 2017, the date the president’s most recent Muslim Ban was scheduled to take effect.
CAIR said it has witnessed an unprecedented spike in bigotry targeting American Muslims and members of other minority groups since the election of Donald Trump as president. The Washington-based civil rights organization has also repeatedly expressed concern about Islamophobic and racist Trump administration policies and appointments.
The Washington-based civil rights and advocacy organization urges community members to report any bias incidents to police and to CAIR's Civil Rights Department at 202-742-6420 or by filing a report at: http://www.cair.com/report
CAIR launched an app to share critical “know your rights” information and to simplify the process to report hate crimes and bias incidents. CAIR is urging American Muslims and members of other minority groups to download the app and utilize this resource to stay informed and empowered.
For a quick download of CAIR’s civil rights app, click here: http://www.cair.com/app
CAIR is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
La misión de CAIR es mejorar la comprensión del Islam, fomentar el diálogo, proteger las libertades civiles, capacitar a los musulmanes estadounidenses, y construir coaliciones que promuevan la justicia y la comprensión mutua.
- END –
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 4/16/2018) -- The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) is urging all those who value their privacy rights and want the United States to be a welcoming and just nation to tell congress to push DHS to halt its proposed “Visa Lifecycle Vetting” program (Digital Muslim Ban) and prevent all taxpayer dollars from funding it.
Last January, when President Trump issued the executive order also known as the Muslim Ban, it included a little-noticed provision calling for every visitor to the country to be screened for whether they (1) would be “a positively contributing member of society,” (2) would “make contributions to the national interest,” or (3) intend to commit a crime or terrorist act. Not only is there no legal definition for these terms, but anyone wishing to enter the United States already undergoes extensive background checks.
CLICK HERE TO TELL US CONGRESS TO STOP ICE’S VISA LIFECYCLE VETTING
American Muslims are disproportionately targeted for surveillance initiatives. For example, our nation’s watchlists overwhelmingly target American Muslims. Further, a recent Pew Research Center [survey]survey indicated that American Muslims are concerned about their place in society. The EVI program (Digital Muslim Ban) would only further institutionalize the isolation of an already disenfranchised community.
CAIR ACTION ALERT: Contact Senators to Urge Opposition to Mike Pompeo’s Confirmation Before Hearing on Thursday
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 4/10/18) – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today called on all those who value America’s traditions of religious inclusion and respect for diversity to contact members of the U.S. Senate to oppose the confirmation of Mike Pompeo as secretary of state before a hearing on his confirmation this Thursday.
CAIR is suggesting people use its click-and-send action alert to urge senators and members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations to oppose and block Pompeo’s confirmation.
- CLICK HERE TO SEND CAIR’S ACTION ALERT TO THE U.S. SENATE
In addition to issuing the action alert, CAIR released a congressional fact sheet, titled “U.S. Senate: Oppose and Block the Confirmation of Islamophobe Mike Pompeo to Secretary of State,” for concerned citizens and activists to forward on to their senators and members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.
Full Committee Hearing Nomination: The Honorable Mike Pompeo
- CLICK HERE TO READ CAIR’S CONGRESSIONAL FACT SHEET OPPOSING POMPEO’S NOMINATION
The Washington-based civil rights organization is calling on all Americans to urge members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations to oppose Pompeo’s confirmation and to question him about his past anti-Muslim statements, about current associations with anti-Muslim hate groups and about his views on supporting torture, keeping the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo open and framing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as religious wars.
Act Now: See Instructions, Resources, Phone Numbers and Call Script Below
Members of the public may also call the offices of members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations urging them to oppose and block Pompeo’s confirmation during the hearing. A call script is provided below. Please note: Individuals that live in states that have a senator who serves on the committee can use their influence as a constituent to exert additional pressure.
Contact Information: Senate Committee on Foreign Relations (by leadership then state)
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations Chairman Bob Corker (Republican, Tennessee) – Phone: 202-224-3344
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations Chairman Ranking Member Bob Menendez (Democrat, New Jersey) – Phone: 202-224-4744
- Senator Jeff Flake (Republican, Arizona) – Phone: 202-224-4521
- Senator Cory Gardner (Republican, Colorado) – Phone: 202-224-5941
- Senator Chris Murphy (Democrat, Connecticut) – Phone: 202-224-4041
- Senator Christopher Coons (Democrat, Delaware) – Phone: 202-224-5042
- Senator Marco Rubio (Republican, Florida) – Phone: 202-224-3041
- Senator Johnny Isakson (Republican, Georgia) – Phone: 202-224-5623
- Senator Todd Young (Republican, Indiana) – Phone: 202-224-5623
- Senator Rand Paul (Republican, Kentucky) – Phone: 202-224-4343
- Senator Edward J. Markey (Democrat, Massachusetts) – Phone: 202-224-2742
- Senator Jeanne Shahen (Democrat, New Hampshire) – Phone: 202-224-2841
- Senator Cory Booker (Democrat, New Jersey) – Phone: 202-224-3224
- Senator Tom Udall (Democrat, New Mexico) – Phone: 202-224-6621
- Senator Rob Portman (Republican, Ohio) – Phone: 202-224-3353
- Senator Jeff Merkley (Democrat, Oregon) – Website click here.
- Senator Tim Kaine (Democrat, Virginia) – Phone: 202-224-3753
- Senator Ron Johnson (Republican, Wisconsin) – Phone: 202-228-6965
- Senator John Barrasso (Republican, Wyoming) – Phone: 202-224-6441
Call Script: Suggested Message to U.S. Senators: “Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME] and I am calling to urge Senator [NAME OF SENATOR] to “OPPOSE” and “VOTE NO” on the confirmation of Mike Pompeo due to his expressed Islamophobic views and association with an anti-Muslim hate groups and his views on supporting torture, keeping the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo open, and framing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as religious wars. Pompeo serving as secretary of state would harm our nation’s image and relations with key players in the international community. Thank you.”
Report back to CAIR any progress made in pushing your state’s senate delegation or members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations to oppose or block Pompeo’s confirmation. Contact CAIR Government Affairs Department Director Robert McCaw by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Pompeo.”