(WASHINGTON, D.C., 4/10/18) – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today called on all those who value America’s traditions of religious inclusion and respect for diversity to contact members of the U.S. Senate to oppose the confirmation of Mike Pompeo as secretary of state before a hearing on his confirmation this Thursday.
CAIR is suggesting people use its click-and-send action alert to urge senators and members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations to oppose and block Pompeo’s confirmation.
- CLICK HERE TO SEND CAIR’S ACTION ALERT TO THE U.S. SENATE
In addition to issuing the action alert, CAIR released a congressional fact sheet, titled “U.S. Senate: Oppose and Block the Confirmation of Islamophobe Mike Pompeo to Secretary of State,” for concerned citizens and activists to forward on to their senators and members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.
Full Committee Hearing Nomination: The Honorable Mike Pompeo
- CLICK HERE TO READ CAIR’S CONGRESSIONAL FACT SHEET OPPOSING POMPEO’S NOMINATION
The Washington-based civil rights organization is calling on all Americans to urge members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations to oppose Pompeo’s confirmation and to question him about his past anti-Muslim statements, about current associations with anti-Muslim hate groups and about his views on supporting torture, keeping the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo open and framing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as religious wars.
Act Now: See Instructions, Resources, Phone Numbers and Call Script Below
Members of the public may also call the offices of members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations urging them to oppose and block Pompeo’s confirmation during the hearing. A call script is provided below. Please note: Individuals that live in states that have a senator who serves on the committee can use their influence as a constituent to exert additional pressure.
Contact Information: Senate Committee on Foreign Relations (by leadership then state)
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations Chairman Bob Corker (Republican, Tennessee) – Phone: 202-224-3344
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations Chairman Ranking Member Bob Menendez (Democrat, New Jersey) – Phone: 202-224-4744
- Senator Jeff Flake (Republican, Arizona) – Phone: 202-224-4521
- Senator Cory Gardner (Republican, Colorado) – Phone: 202-224-5941
- Senator Chris Murphy (Democrat, Connecticut) – Phone: 202-224-4041
- Senator Christopher Coons (Democrat, Delaware) – Phone: 202-224-5042
- Senator Marco Rubio (Republican, Florida) – Phone: 202-224-3041
- Senator Johnny Isakson (Republican, Georgia) – Phone: 202-224-5623
- Senator Todd Young (Republican, Indiana) – Phone: 202-224-5623
- Senator Rand Paul (Republican, Kentucky) – Phone: 202-224-4343
- Senator Edward J. Markey (Democrat, Massachusetts) – Phone: 202-224-2742
- Senator Jeanne Shahen (Democrat, New Hampshire) – Phone: 202-224-2841
- Senator Cory Booker (Democrat, New Jersey) – Phone: 202-224-3224
- Senator Tom Udall (Democrat, New Mexico) – Phone: 202-224-6621
- Senator Rob Portman (Republican, Ohio) – Phone: 202-224-3353
- Senator Jeff Merkley (Democrat, Oregon) – Website click here.
- Senator Tim Kaine (Democrat, Virginia) – Phone: 202-224-3753
- Senator Ron Johnson (Republican, Wisconsin) – Phone: 202-228-6965
- Senator John Barrasso (Republican, Wyoming) – Phone: 202-224-6441
Call Script: Suggested Message to U.S. Senators: “Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME] and I am calling to urge Senator [NAME OF SENATOR] to “OPPOSE” and “VOTE NO” on the confirmation of Mike Pompeo due to his expressed Islamophobic views and association with an anti-Muslim hate groups and his views on supporting torture, keeping the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo open, and framing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as religious wars. Pompeo serving as secretary of state would harm our nation’s image and relations with key players in the international community. Thank you.”
Report back to CAIR any progress made in pushing your state’s senate delegation or members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations to oppose or block Pompeo’s confirmation. Contact CAIR Government Affairs Department Director Robert McCaw by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Pompeo.”
If you have difficulty reaching senate offices using these numbers, call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be transferred.
CAIR is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
Become a Fan of CAIR on Facebook
Subscribe to CAIR's Email List
Subscribe to CAIR's Twitter Feed
Subscribe to CAIR's YouTube Channel
- END -