CAIR: GEORGETOWN TO HOST PANEL ON WHAT IT MEANS TO BE MUSLIM IN AMERICA
WHO: A distinguished panel of journalists, religious scholars, and a Muslim rock star will explore and debate how being a Muslim can complement or conflict with the American way of life.
The panel features Newsweek Editor Jon Meacham and Sally Quinn of The Washington Post, as well as the following panelists:
* John L. Esposito (moderator), Georgetown University Professor of Religion and Founding Director of the Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding.
* Salman Ahmad, Pakistani born rock musician, founder, guitarist and composer for the wildly popular South Asian band, Junoon
* Imam Yahya Hendi, the Muslim chaplain at Georgetown University, the Imam of the Islamic Society of Frederick, and the Muslim Chaplain at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda
* Sherman A. Jackson, professor of Arabic and Islamic Studies and a professor of Afro-American Studies at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
* Ingrid Mattson, President of Islamic Society of North America, Professor of Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations and, Director of the Islamic Chaplaincy Program at Hartford Seminary in Connecticut
* Hadia Mubarak, a senior researcher at Georgetown's Center for Muslim Christian Understanding and the first woman and first native-born American to be elected to lead the National Muslim Student Association since the 500-chapter organization was established in 1963.
WHAT: What does being a Muslim mean in America? How does it inform who you are, what you think, what you do? Does Islam dictate and define a moral compass, a political agenda, a spiritual journey? Do Muslim values conflict with American values? This diverse panel will look at four distinct and potentially competing definitions of Muslim identity: Islam as a moral compass, a political agenda, a spiritual journey and a culture apart.
WHEN: Thursday, April 19, 4-5:30 p.m.
WHERE: Georgetown University, 37th & O Streets, NW, Washington, D.C.
SPONSORS: Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding
-Washington Post Newsweek Interactive On Faith
COVERAGE: Media interested in attending this event must RSVP to the Georgetown University Office of Communications at (202) 687-4328.