The California chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-CA) is hiring a Legislative and Government Affairs Manager at its Sacramento office.
Join the largest American Muslim civil rights organization on the frontlines of protecting the right to free speech, to freely practice one’s faith, to pursue employment opportunities without harassment, and to live as an active and engaged American without reprisal. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in a fast-paced and changing landscape of priorities and responsibilities and will be able to work independently and on a variety of teams.
Schedule type: Full-time
- Build relationships and regularly meet with elected officials to advocate for civil- and human-rights legislation.
- Promote civic engagement (voter registration, voter education, voter turnout, town-hall discussions, volunteerism, etc.) within the Muslim community.
- Organize statewide government-relations programs, including the annual Capitol Ramadan Reception and the annual Muslim Day at the Capitol.
- Prepare scorecards and voter guides on local and statewide issues.
- Develop campaigns (participating in coalitions, drafting letters, mobilizing the Muslim community and facilitating awareness) around issues relevant to CAIR’s government affairs policy agenda.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; postgraduate degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Five or more years of experience in public policy and government affairs, specifically in a nonprofit advocacy organization, trade association, state legislature or Congress, or a state or federal agency. Experience working with a political action committee and/or a grassroots program preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present complex information in focused public-policy and advocacy materials and experience with public speaking.
- A track record of successful advocacy with policymakers.
- Knowledge of state legislative processes, with an ability to apply that knowledge to coherent strategy development and implementation.
- Proven ability to develop key relationships and identify and leverage collaborative opportunities with a range of stakeholders and diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and objectives, lead projects, and work effectively with others internally to produce positive results.
- Strong understanding of the inner workings of state legislatures or Congress, committees, government departments and agencies.
- Extensive experience developing policy; advocating before elected representatives, state or federal departments, and agencies; and building and working with coalitions.
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity.
- Basic computer proficiency including working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission.
- Experience working with the American Muslim community.
- Commensurate with experience.
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, holidays, vacation and sick leave.
- This position reports to the CAIR-Sacramento Valley Executive Director and works closely with the CAIR-CA Executive Directors, legislative staff and communications staff across the state.
To Apply: Please send 1) cover letter, 2) resume and 3) three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “CAIR California Legislative & Government Affairs Manager.”
- Until position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.