Position: Full time; salaried
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization with chapters across the country. The national headquarters is located on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.
CAIR's vision is to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding. Its core mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR is seeking a full time Staff Attorney for its Washington D.C. chapter. This position will report to the National Litigation Director.
Carry out CAIR’s mission and vision with various stakeholders and audiences through duties that include, but are not limited to:
- Drafting and editing news releases, media kits, action alerts, statements, and other communications materials
- Researching and monitoring news and issues for information related to CAIR’s mission and vision
- Compiling and distributing daily digital newsletter as well content for the annual report
- Publishing communications materials on CAIR’s website
- Producing video, print, digital, and graphic materials in support of strategic marketing and communications campaigns
- Creating and managing social media campaigns to maximize communication of CAIR’s mission and vision
- Build and execute social media strategy through research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging and audience identification
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action
- Set up and/or optimize CAIR pages within each platform to increase the visibility of content
- Moderate all user-generated content in line with the moderation policy for each community
- Create editorial calendars and syndication schedules
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on that information
- Collaborating with other CAIR departments to manage issues, identify key influencers and to coordinate actions
- Representing CAIR in media interviews
- Researching, writing and editing commentaries and editorial materials related to CAIR’s mission and vision
- Facilitating coalition-building with communicators at organizations that support of CAIR’s mission and vision
- Training and coaching of CAIR staff and members of the public as requested
- Other duties as assigned
Occasional and limited travel may be required as well as participation of evening and/or weekend events
- Minimum of 2 to 4 year of relevant experience in journalism, media relations and/or marketing and communications
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and understandable manner for internal/external communications
- Excellent news writing and editing skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong social media skills/understanding
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Thorough knowledge of social media tools, including YouTube, Twitter and Facebook.
- Knowledge of media databases and tools such as Cision, TVEyes, Meltwater
This position reports to: Director of Communications
Compensation: Commensurate with skills and experience
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, samples of any relevant work and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.