Position: Full-time salaried
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization with chapters across the country. The national headquarters is located on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.
CAIR's vision is to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding. Its core mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR is seeking a full time Government Affairs Coordinator for its Washington D.C. chapter. This position will report to the Government Affairs Director.
The Government Affairs Coordinator is responsible for providing support to our government affairs director in legislative and policy research projects, federal-and-state-level tracking and analysis, meeting and project coordination, outreach to stakeholders, elected officials and agency staff, and other support as needed. The position will be working closely with staff from all departments. Government Affairs Coordinator duties will initially comprise of roughly 80 percent legislative and policy research related duties and 20 percent outreach activities to further develop CAIR’s presence and impact.
The Government Affairs Coordinator is primarily responsible for:
- Comfort in conducting outreach to policymakers in state legislatures or Congress and/or state or federal agencies.
- Knowledge of the state and federal legislative processes with an ability to apply that knowledge to developing and carrying out coherent strategies.
- Able to conduct civic participation and voter mobilization trainings to help community members engage in government outreach and related activities.
- Able to engage in and oversee non-partisan election activities, including voter registration drives, get-out-the-vote efforts and other programs.
- Excellent written and communications skills, including the ability to synthesize complex information into focused public policy and advocacy materials.
- Proven ability to develop key relationships and identify and leverage collaborative opportunities with a range of stakeholders and diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and objectives, lead projects upon request, and work effectively with others internally to produce positive results.
- Capable of issuing action alerts to mobilize communities on issues relevant to CAIR’s government affairs policy agenda.
- Able to identify and efficiently utilize internal resources for maximum impact.
- A strong desire to continually improve and undertake new challenges.
- A strong sense of accountability with high ethical standards.
- Able to coordinate with other CAIR chapters and local communities on government affairs issues
- Proficient utilizing relevant computer software programs, including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Explorer (or software equivalents thereof).
- A passion for CAIR’s mission.
- Travel, weekends, and hours beyond the traditional work week will be required
- Bachelor’s degree required. Postgraduate degree in a relevant field (Political Science, Public Policy, Public Affairs, or Communications) preferred.
- Experience in election campaign work, social activism, public policy or government affairs. Prior experience working in a political campaign, elected office, city government, nonprofit advocacy organization, trade association, state legislature or Congress, state or federal agency, as well as working in a corporate government affairs office or trade association preferred.
- Strong understanding of the inner-workings of state legislatures or Congress, committees, as well as government departments and agencies.
- Extensive experience developing policy, advocating before elected representatives, state or federal departments and agencies, and building and working with coalitions.
- Experience working with a political action committee and/or a grassroots program is a plus, but not required.
- Experience of working with Muslim groups is a plus.
How to Apply
- Send a cover letter, samples of any relevant work and a resume to email@example.com.