The bodies of 10 Bosnian Muslims killed in a
wartime massacre were unearthed from one of the first mass graves located
with information provided by Bosnian Serbs, a Muslim official said Wednesday.
A Bosnian Serb government commission researching the Srebrenica massacre
submitted a report last week that, among other information, contained
locations of 31 mass graves believed to hold victims’ remains.
Excavations began Tuesday at one of the graves, in the eastern Bosnian
village of Sandici, where workers uncovered the 10 bodies.
Workers expected to find at least 10 more bodies, Amor Masovic, the head of
Bosnian Muslim Commission for the Search for Missing Persons, told The
But the excavations were abruptly halted Wednesday after unexploded
ordnance was found at the site and mine removal experts moved in to clear
the entire location.
Sandici is near Srebrenica, where in 1995 Bosnian Serb troops overran a
U.N.-declared safe zone, killing up to 8,000 Muslim men and boys..