(MINNEAPOLIS, MN, 10/29/13) - The Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-MN) today called on Calvary Evangelical Free Church in Bagley, Minn., to consider the negative impact a series of hate speeches will have on the Muslim and interfaith community.
The church has been hosting anti-Muslim speaker Usama Dakdok for the past three days. Dakdok made hate-filled comments at the church, such as:
- "Muslims are going to behead your children and grandchildren"
- "(To be Muslim you must perform the 7 which the last one is Jihad. Jihad is Holy War according to Muslim Scholars."
- "Islam is a religion of hate."
- "Muslims wear suits and ties and talk softly and lovingly to protect themselves from you."
- "Jihad is to kill infidels. Who are the infidels? Christians, Jews. They are commanded to kill you."
- "Who are the hypocrites? They are the Moderate Muslims."
Community members from diverse faiths have been protesting Dakdok's visit to Bagley outside the church. Its mission statement is, "Reaching our community with Christ's love."
ACTION REQUESTED: (As always, be polite and respectful.)
Contact: Calvary Evangelical Free Church Pastor Rick Moore: 218-776-2434; 218-694-2517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Earlier this week, CAIR-MN announced that Bagley district officials rescinded approval for an event at the high school featuring Dakdok.
In an October 23 letter to the school's principal and the school district's superintendent, CAIR-MN wrote in part: "Although Dakdok has the First Amendment right to free speech, this right is not absolute and has been limited when it is considered to be harassment, intimidating or encouraging violence against a particular group of people."
CAIR-MN's letter noted that Dakdok's appearance in an educational facility would violate the district's harassment and violence policy and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color or national origin by recipients of federal financial assistance.
"By spewing his hate-filled views in a school auditorium, Mr. Dakdok would have created the perception that his bigotry has the endorsement of educational authorities," said CAIR-MN Executive Director Lori Saroya. "We thank school district officials for sending a strong message to all students that religious intolerance is not acceptable."
Saroya noted that during a similar event at an Ohio school in 2012, Dakdok called Islam a "wicked cult" and made hate-filled claims such as: (NOTE: Speaker's linguistic errors retained.)
- "The day will come and Muslim in America will have the upper hand, and they will kill your children for not eating what is liked. For not eating the lawful foods."
- "What happened to the women and the children? They were raped. By who? By Muhammad and his followers. And they got pregnant, and they had babies, and the baby was born by the name Fatima, and Khadija, and Obama, and Hussein, and Barack, and all those wonderful Muslim names."
- "ithout Allah they will die and for sure they would spend eternity in hell with Muhammad and with all previous Muslims, and Baptist, and Presbyterian, and Catholic, and everyone who's think by going to some church will make it to heaven."
- "Killing you is a small matter ."
- "We were not in war with Bin Ladin, we are in war with Islam."
- "hen you have a revival in America among the Muslim, and that's when they start beheading your children and your grandchildren."
- "So they say this month two and a half percent of the profit made will go to Egypt. To help to get rid of illiteracy. What do they mean by illiteracy? They meant Christian. We are gonna kill some Christian. Or this month we are gonna get rid of some AIDS. What is AIDS? That is the Jews."
CAIR is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
- END -
CONTACT: CAIR-MN Executive Director Lori Saroya, 612-327-6700, email@example.com; CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, firstname.lastname@example.org