Join the nation's largest Muslim civil rights organization
Our civil rights departments handle cases that range from prejudiced gestures to full blown discrimination. Our clients are Muslims as well as members from other communities who have had Islam imputed upon them. Law clerks will assist in providing direct services to community members and will work on projects that highlight distinct civil rights issues that range from interacting with local and federal law enforcement to securing the rights of Muslims to practice their religion freely in the public sphere, schools, places of employment, prisons and other institutions.
Summer law clerks will work closely with CAIR staff on resolving cases of discrimination reported to the office.
- Conduct thorough intakes, communicate with and counsel a diverse group of community members who believe they have been discriminated against.
- Research discrimination, constitutional, criminal, employment and national security law, among other areas.
- Legal writing, including drafting complaints, letters, memos, etc..
- Communicate with attorneys, employers, administrative agencies (i.e. EEOC, State agencies, local civil rights commissions, etc.) and others.
- Keep detailed records of client communication in CAIR databases.
- Compile data for civil rights department projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
All CAIR law clerks are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, assisting with office management and other office tasks. CAIR law clerks may be asked to participate in events outside of normal business hours.
- Current law students enrolled in a J.D. or LL.M. program or who have completed one of these programs.
- Sensitivity in working with clients who have faced discrimination.
- Sound legal research, analytical and writing skills. One semester of legal research and writing preferred.
- Demonstrated time management and multitasking abilities.
- A proactive disposition showing interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle concurrent assignments and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work well independently.
- Support of the mission of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and a list of three references to the office of your choice. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
CAIR San Francisco Bay Area
3000 Scott Blvd., Ste. 101
Santa Clara, CA 95054
CAIR Greater Los Angeles Area
2180 W. Crescent Ave., Ste. F
Anaheim, CA 92801
1601 N. Palm Ave., Ste. 203
Pembroke Pines, FL 33026
8056 N. 56th St.
Tampa FL, 33617
17 N. State St., Ste. 1500
Chicago, IL 60602
21700 Northwestern Hwy., Ste. 1199
Southfield, MI 48075
2021 E. Hennepin Ave., Ste. 407
Minneapolis, MN 55413
CAIR New Jersey
4475 S. Clinton Ave., Ste. 202
South Plainfield, NJ 07080
10999 Reed Hartman Hwy., Suite 207
Cincinnati, OH 45242
1505 Bethel Rd., Ste. 200
Columbus, OH 43220
1218 Chestnut St., Ste. 510
Philadelphia, PA 19107