Title: CAIR-GA Legal and Policy Director
Schedule Type: Full time, Exempt Employee
Practice Areas: Civil Rights/Civil Liberties, Employment, Immigration, National Security, Open Government
Location: CAIR-Georgia is located in downtown Atlanta
The Position/Role: CAIR-GA is seeking an attorney with a demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and serving diverse communities. We are looking for a motivated individual with a strong passion for representing individuals who have experienced violations of their rights. The candidate will be expected to identify, strategize, and use creative legal and grassroots advocacy solutions to address systematic issues facing the Georgia Muslim community.
Salary: Based on experience and qualifications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop a vision and strategy for the legal and policy department.
- Oversee legal intake process, case selection, case staffing, provide mentorship, and ensure ongoing professional development of department staff.
- Develop and supervise the legal team through all phases of litigation, including community education and outreach, identifying clients, case development, drafting pleadings and briefs, engaging in all aspects of discovery, and oral argument.
- Ensure that legal department staff members and projects have clearly defined roles, goals, and systems for managing the work effectively.
- Provide analysis of court rulings, and articulate CAIR-GA’s legal analysis to the public and the media when asked to do so by the Executive Director. Serve as a spokesperson with the media for legal issues, testify before policymaking bodies based on area of expertise, and present at conferences or other public speaking engagements that further CAIR-GA’s mission and legal strategies.
- Oversee and maintain the legal department and complete the state and national reporting requirements according to organization policy.
- Build, manage, and maintain relationships with clients, affected communities, law firms, law schools and legal clinics, allied legal groups, and other key stakeholders to advance the organization’s legal and policy work.
- Develop talking points relating to cases for the community and media outlets.
- Meet with local elected officials to advocate on issues that affect the Muslim community and collaborate with civil rights organizations on common causes.
- Engage with local, state, and federal government officials, including oversight of CAIR-Georgia’s lobbying efforts during the Georgia state legislative session and the annual Muslim Hill Day in Washington, Dc.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent research, oral, and written communication to interface with media professionals, community leaders, government officials, and staff in a professional and effective manner.
- An understanding of civil rights and immigration issues impacting Muslims in America.
- Familiarity, cultural competency, and experience engaging with Muslim audiences.
- Commitment to the civil rights challenges facing Muslim and American Muslim communities.
- Demonstrated track record of alignment and support for the mission and vision of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
- Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic. Ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments and meet deadlines; must be able to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Sophisticated political judgment, understanding of legislative issues and policies both locally and nationally.
- Preferably 3+ years of legal experience
- D. from an accredited law school
- Familiarity with civil rights issues impacting the Muslim community
- Generous benefits package includes reimbursement for health insurance coverage, holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Evenings, weekends and off-hour work may sometimes be required depending on emergency events. Having your own car along with a valid driver’s license is required.
Please email: (1) cover letter, (2) resume and (3) a writing sample to: email@example.com with the subject line “Legal and Policy Director.” No phone calls, please.
We plan to accept applications until filling the position.