Call for an end to the killing in Palestine
As Israeli attacks on Palestinian Muslim and Christian civilians increase daily, CAIR is calling on community members nationwide to contact President Bush, elected representatives and the Department of State and demand that America intervene to stop the violence. Officials should not hear only from one side in the conflict. That has to change. Your call, fax or e-mail is important!
Our government cannot continue to ignore injustices perpetrated against Muslims worldwide. When you contact officials, make sure to also mention those who are suffering in India, Kashmir, Chechnya, Iraq, and other areas of the world. Tell them you are concerned about justice and about our nation's image and interests around the Muslim world.
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED:
FIRST - Pray that God grant strength and patience to all those who are suffering oppression and occupation.
President George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
TEL: 202-456-1414, Press 1
Secretary of State Colin Powell
U.S. Department of State
Washington, D.C. 20520
To obtain contact information for your representative, go to http://www.house.gov/writerep/, or call 202-224-3121. Have your Zip Code ready. For senators, go to: http://www.senate.gov/senators/senator_by_state.cf
COPY ALL CORRESPONDENCE TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALSO - Monitor the media and let them hear your views through calls, letters to the editor or editorials.
1) Attacks on civilians by either side in the conflict only serve to harden public opinion and make a just and peaceful solution more difficult. Even Israeli army reservists are now objecting to the orders they are beinggiven. A recent declaration by a group of those soldiers stated: "We shall not continue to fight beyond the 1967 borders in order to dominate, expel, starve and humiliate an entire people." (Associated Press, 2/18/2002)
2) Palestinians will not stop resisting the Israeli occupation until they feel there is a just political solution in sight. American officials must stop parroting the Israeli line and step in as honest brokers.
3) Israel's incessant attacks on civilian areas causes severe trauma in the entire civilian population. These attacks are not meant to achieve a military victory but instead are designed to sow terror and to sap thePalestinians' will to resist occupation. Yesterday's Jerusalem Post quoted Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon as saying he will continue his attacks until the Palestinians "beg for mercy."
4) Israeli attacks are a form of collective punishment, not strikes on perpetrators of crimes. Israel does not just attack forces that are attacking them, but take revenge against the whole population with homedemolitions, destruction of agricultural land, curfews, and attacks on civilian infrastructure like media outlets, electrical plants, schools, and police stations.
5) Israel is using US-supplied weapons of war, with tacit approval, against civilian targets in violation of U.S. and international law. American weapons are supplied on the premise that they will be used only inself-defense, not in revenge attacks or to enforce an illegal military occupation.
6) This conflict pits one of the world's strongest armies against unarmed civilian population. Sporadic shootings or bombings by individuals or groups cannot be compared to the acts of state terrorism carried out by soldiers following a clear chain of command and using heavy weapons.