Title: Community Organizer
Reports to: Policy Manager
Schedule Type: Full-time (Exempt, Full-time)
Location: Office located in Anaheim, CA. Requires travel throughout the Greater Los Angeles Area.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop organizing campaigns around key advocacy and civil rights issues
- Represent CAIR-LA in coalition meetings and work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations and coalition partners
- Develop strategic partnerships with community-based organizations working in diverse communities in Southern California
- Speak publicly on behalf of CAIR-LA at rallies, townhall sand mosque events
- Develop, conduct, and widely publicize Know Your Rights trainings that promote grassrootsleadership,strategicissuecampaigns,organizing,andcoalitionbuildingonpriorityissueareas
- Galvanize support of community organizations, public officials, law enforcement officers, faithleaders,businessleaders,donors,andnewanddiversecommunitiesfor organizing campaigns
- Work collaboratively with grassroots leaders, allies, and CAIR-LA advocacy team to execute large and effective community actions (public hearings, protests, vigils,)
- Identify, cultivate, and develop strong community leaders who will lead campaigns that pursue CAIR-LA’s advocacy and civil rights priorities
- Identify, recruit, and train volunteers to participate in civil liberties and social justice campaigns and programs
- Coordinate and execute Voter Registration, GOTV and Ballot Initiative campaigns in affiliate areas
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or four years of experience in base building, membership
- Experience in community organizing
- Passion for CAIR’s mission and values
- Ballot initiative or electoral campaign experience highly preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed individual, strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple ongoing initiatives
- Work experience with a non-profit organization or in a related field
- Willingness and flexibility to change job requirements as the team grows
- Valid automobile driver’s license and working vehicle required; this position will involve extensive travel throughout the Greater Los Angeles Area. Must be able to accommodate a variable work schedule including nights and weekends.
- Evenings and weekends required.
- Fully paid Kaiser Health Insurance and Blue Cross PPO Dental Plan for employee and dependents
- Paid time off for incoming staff includes: 12 Paid vacation days, 10 holidays, and 10 sick days
- IRA matching program
- Professional development budget
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.