Job Title: Immigrants’ Rights Managing Attorney (Full-time, Exempt position)
Title: Immigrants’ Rights Managing Attorney
Reports to: Executive Director
Schedule: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Office located in Anaheim, CA. Requires some travel throughout the Greater Los Angeles Area.
Salary Range: $70,000 – $85,000
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide management for the Immigrants’ Rights staff at CAIR-LA, including oversight of legal and advocacy work; supervision and mentoring of staff; and coordination of legal projects and infrastructure
- Provide legal representation to individuals facing removal proceedings in Los Angeles Immigration Court
- Conduct client intake, and prepare applications and petitions for submission to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Oversee efforts to strengthen program policies and procedures
- Collaborate with the Development Department to identify and submit grant applications to support immigrants’ rights work.
- Participate in community outreach and educational activities, including legal clinics and know your rights presentations
- Participate in, lead or form coalitions with other organizations and collaborating with immigrant communities
- Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, legal articles, and legal codes
- Prepare legal documents such as memos, briefs, and motions
- Participate in the CA statewide immigration Committee and collaborate on statewide projects/publications such as KYR material and annual Legal Report
- Occasional travel locally for outreach including participating in community events and coalition meetings
- All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising and other office tasks as required
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school
- California State Bar admission
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and immigrants’ rights
- Excellent written, oral, and analytical skills
- Experience in managing a workplace setting including responsibility for human resources related issues and office administration
- Meticulous attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and an ability to meet strict deadlines
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure required
- Familiarity with Westlaw and other legal search engines, proficiency in legal research
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds and AMEMSA immigrant communities
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the greater Los Angeles Area
- Full-time with occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, IRA matching program, holidays, and generous vacation and personal time off policies
- Bar membership, CLE funding support, and malpractice insurance
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to applications received by February 29, 2020. Due to COVID-19, our hiring process has slowed. We are continuing to accept and review applications. Hiring will be postponed until after the stay-at-home order has been lifted. Thank you for your patience.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.