Title: Public Affairs Manager
Schedule Type: Full-time Exempt
Location: Office located in Anaheim, CA. Requires some travel throughout the Greater Los Angeles Area.
Pay Range: $65,000 – $85,000
DUTIES & RESPONSIBITLIES:
Policy & Coalition Building
- Build relationships and regularly meet with elected officials including members of Congress to advocate for civil and human rights legislation.
- Conduct legislative research and analysis, draft policy briefs and factsheets, and advocate and develop legislation on issues pertaining to the Islamophobic treatment of Muslims, immigrant empowerment and integration, police brutality, and other civil rights matters.
- Promote civic engagement within the Muslim community through voter registration, voter education, voter turn-out, townhall discussions, etc.
- Utilize community input on policy priorities by collaborating with CAIR-LA’s civil rights, immigration, and community organizing teams to collect testimonials and data on incidents of Islamophobia within the Greater Los Angeles region.
- Develop campaigns and participate in coalitions, draft letters, and assist in mobilizing the Muslim community around issues relevant to CAIR-LA’s policy agenda.
- Assist in creating and implementing equitable, anti-racist, and pro-immigrant policies through legislation and budgetary investments in the City/County of Los Angeles, as well as in other federal, state, and local jurisdictions.
- Participate in community, government, and law enforcement taskforces.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Implement an integrated, organization wide strategic media and public relations plan that allows CAIR-LA to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted audiences, including the Muslim community, media, elected officials, and key partners.
- Manage the development and maintenance of media relationships.
- Review and edit all external communications including press releases, fact sheets, e-mails, e-newsletters, action alerts, and annual reports.
- Supervise CAIR-LA’s media outreach on issues of strategic importance including programs, special events, public announcements, and other relevant topics.
- Manage the organization’s crisis communication and strategic messaging.
- Represent CAIR-LA at meetings, events, and other appropriate conferences.
- Supervise the management of CAIR-LA’s website.
- Supervise the Communications team including social media manager in day-to-day tasks and projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Juris Doctorate preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in public policy, government affairs, and communications within a nonprofit organization, trade association, or local, state, or federal government agency or elected office 5 years of experience is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present complex information in concise advocacy materials.
- Experience with public speaking.
- Proven ability to identify, develop, and leverage key relationships into collaborative opportunities with a range of stakeholders and diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and objectives, lead projects, and work effectively with others internally to produce positive results.
- Strong understanding of the inner workings of state legislatures and Congress, legislative committees, and relevant government agencies.
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity.
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR-LA’s mission.
- Experience working with the American Muslim community.
- Some nights and weekends required.
- Fully paid Kaiser Health Insurance and Blue Cross PPO Dental Plan for employee and dependents
- Paid time off for incoming staff includes: 12 Paid vacation days, 10 holidays, and 10 sick days
- IRA matching program
- Professional development budget
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.