CAIR Sacramento Valley/Central California is looking for a passionate and talented individual to be our part-time Communications Coordinator. Join one of the most dynamic teams serving the American Muslim community. This position aims to strengthen American Muslim civil rights and civic engagement, while also improving the image of Islam and American Muslims in the media.
Time Commitment: Approximately 20 hours each week. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required. Position will currently be remote and can extend remote work after COVID-19 precautionary period.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Using WordPress to manage the CAIR-SV/CC website with current content, event and donation pages, while coordinating with other departments to develop content that supports efforts that drive awareness of CAIR programs and services online
- Writing weekly newsletters, publishing updates and creating fundraising emails geared toward community members using Constant Contact
- Preparing press releases and organizing news conferences
- Conducting as well as coordinating media interviews
- Proactively working with media to generate comprehensive coverage of Islam and American Muslims
- Aiding in CAIR California communications’ campaigns and projects such as the annual report
- Providing digital and print marketing support for CAIR programs and events mainly through Canva
- Managing graphic design, photography, layout, video editing and other multimedia needs and databases
- Monitoring local and national news on a daily basis for coverage of Islam, Muslims, hate crimes, national security, civic engagement and other relevant issues
- Ensuring all communications adheres to CAIR’s core values, mission and branding guidelines
- Helping with social media
- Other duties as assigned
- All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications/Public Relations/Journalism or equivalent, relevant work experience
- Excellent oral and written communication and managerial skills to interface with media professionals, community leaders, volunteers, donors and staff in a professional and effective manner
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office Suite, Constant Contact, and WordPress
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects with limited time
- Cultural awareness of and sensitivity to the diverse Muslim community
- Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout Northern California for events and outreach in an on-demand capacity
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
- Experience with and proficiency in public speaking before an audience, on camera and radio
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations
- Knowledge of AP grammar style
- Experience with photography, video production and editing
- Familiarity with Google AdWords
This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
Please send us (1) a cover letter; (2) a resume; (3) a brief example of your writing; and (4) the names and contact information of three references via the link here. You can also email material to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.