The San Diego office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-SD) is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill the Executive Director position. The Executive Director will direct and supervise all administrative and programing functions including overseeing the day-to-day operations, developing, and implementing program strategies, building program and staff capacity, and ensuring organizational financial sustainability. Reporting to the Governance Board, the Executive Director will provide strategic vision and leadership, lead infrastructure development and programmatic oversight, and manage CAIR-SD’s dedicated and talented team.
Join one of the most dynamic teams defending civil rights on behalf of the American Muslim community, promoting civic engagement, and building coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
The position will be open until filled. Applications will be considered as soon as they are received.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
Operations & Management
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the organization including directly supervising staff, supporting, and empowering the team to lead effectively
- Collaborate with staff to ensure successful execution of activities and programs
- Develop and implement an organization-wide approach to administrative and programmatic alignment
- Develop annual priorities, monitor progress towards meeting the organization’s goals, and evaluate performance of departments and programs
- Develop systems and methods for measuring and regularly evaluating the organization’s impact and progress against goals
- Oversee financial management within the approved budget and ensure healthy and positive financials
Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities
- Ensure nonprofit compliance in accordance with local, state, and federal laws and with regulations set by the organization
- Collaborate with the Board to facilitate strategic planning for the organization’s growth and ensure that organizational activities and programs are aligned
- Report and maintain open communication with the Board on the progress toward organizational goals and other issues on a regular basis
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including the development and maintenance of contacts with key funding sources, and collaborate with the Board to achieve fundraising goals
- Develop and implement strategies for growing new and sustainable revenue sources
Community & Coalition Building
- Maintain and enhance existing relationships and develop new strategic relationships with external parties including local Muslim communities, other community-based organizations and stakeholders, and interfaith leaders through coalition building
- Develop and implement an integrated, organization-wide strategic media and public relations plan that will allow CAIR-SD to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted audiences, including the media, public officials, and key influencers
- Serve as lead point person on media interactions (editors, reporters, producers, and other media professionals) and actively cultivate and manage media relationships
- Manage and speak at various press conferences and events; prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material
- Develop and disseminate news releases, newsletters, action alerts, press statements and talking points for the community and media outlets
- Collaborate with CAIR-CA to help set and guide policy and legislative agenda
- Meet with the local elected officials to advocate on issues that affect the American Muslim community
- Develop and establish programs, educational events, and campaigns to advance the mission of the organization and empower the community
Other duties as needed and assigned.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of senior management experience in a nonprofit organization, foundation, or government agency
- Master’s Degree in related field or J.D. (preferred)
- Familiarity with social justice issues impacting the Muslim community and a strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
- Demonstrated leadership, personnel management, and time management abilities
- An observable track record of success in developing or improving organizational capacity, with an eye toward opportunities for process improvement
- Detailed experience with fiscal management, including program budgeting and cash flow analysis
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational settings
- Excellent research, oral, and written communication to interface with media professionals, community leaders, government officials, and staff in a professional and effective manner
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments and meet deadlines; must be able to work well both independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with outstanding attention to detail
- Knowledge of cloud applications such as SharePoint, Office365, and social media applications (preferred)
- Access to a reliable vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the San Diego area
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- The expected salary range for this position is $85,000 – $125,000 annually.
- The position offers generous benefits:
- Fully paid employee and dependent coverage for health, vision, and dental insurance
- Retirement plan with up to 3% employer matching
- Paid time off including 10 holidays, 12 vacation days, and 10 personal days
All applications require:
- Cover Letter: Describe how your experience & skills are a fit for this position
- References: At least 3 professional references
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.