The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. CAIR’s mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Description: CAIR is seeking an experienced Communications Coordinator
Title: Communications Coordinator
FTE: 1 FTE (full-time) /Salaried
Reporting to: Program Director/Deputy Director
The Communications Coordinator will work closely with our Deputy Director, Program Director, and National Communications Director to help support the core components of our communications work that include digital media, press relations, advocacy, government affairs, civil rights, fundraising, and other key areas of focus. The Communications Coordinator will report to the Program Director/Deputy Director and will collaborate with individuals and teams across the organization, as well as outside consultants, interns, and volunteers.
The role will have three (3) main areas of focus:
- Media Relations 2. Public Speaking and 3. Digital Media
Media Relations and Public Speaking
- Manage CAIR’s press lists and media partner relationships in close coordination with the Deputy Director and National Communications Director
- Coordinate responses to developing stories, building reporter relationships, pitching stories, and fielding requests for information and interviews
- Collect and analyze data, including media coverage and newsletter analytics
- Drafting and editing news releases, media kits, action alerts, press statements, and other communications materials
- Represent CAIR National at events and participate in panels and public speaking engagements as needed
- Serve as the primary internal brand steward, maintaining and informing staff, consultants, and volunteers about templates, style guides, preferred language, and organizational best practices
- Create and/or coordinate the creation of written and visual content across digital platforms (e.g., graphics, videos)
- Work with the Graphics Designer and Senior Multimedia Designer in producing video, print, digital, and graphic materials in support of strategic marketing and communications campaigns
- Responsible for the production CAIR’s daily CAIR on Air Live Show
- Compiling and distributing the daily digital newsletter
- Draft and schedule compelling content as needed for CAIR’s social media platforms (YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn) and CAIR’s website
- Manage CAIR’s social media platforms (YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram)
- Maintain CAIR’s website and regularly update content
- Monitor media and social media mentions and relevant press coverage to regularly distribute to staff, and staying up to date on relevant news and policy developments
- Ensure content reflects CAIR National’s voice, style, message, and branding; ensure branding and tone are consistent across multiple media platforms
- Monitor and make recommendations based on performance analytics across digital platforms
- Promptly respond to inquiries submitted through social media and email
- Format and send emails using Constant Contact or other media tools
- Develop and maintain communication project timelines
- Collaborate with other departments (Civil Rights, Government Affairs, Research & Advocacy etc.) to manage issues and to coordinate actions
- And any other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, or related field
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and understandable manner for internal/external communications
- Excellent new writing and editing skills. Experience in AP Style.
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Thorough knowledge of social media tools, including YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Knowledge of media databases and tools such as Cision, TVEyes, Meltwater preferred
- Two to five years of similar experience in a non-profit setting
- Strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills – able to write in more than one voice and for more than one medium
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Initiative and the ability and willingness to collaborate and cooperate with colleagues when needed; comfortable working independently when needed
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects on deadlines
- Experience using MS Office Suite and Constant Contact and website management tools a plus
- Willingness to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner and with attention to detail
- Ability to think strategically.
- Effective long-term planning and contingency planning to ensure goals are met
- Ability to work under pressure and juggle multiple priorities and deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
Compensation: Compensation commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications. Compensation package also includes retirement benefits with limited employer match starting 6 months after start of employment, as well as medical, dental, and vision benefits starting on the first day of the month following hire and discretionary leave benefits.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter with résumé, samples of relevant work, a list of three references, and current/target compensation to email@example.com Please reference “Communications Coordinator Search” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.