Position: Human Resources Director (Full-Time salaried)
Location: CAIR’s Capitol Hill Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Brief Description: CAIR is seeking an experienced Human Resources Director, responsible for all aspects of Human Resources including recruitment, budget support, training and development, benefits, compensation, and employee relations.
Note: This is a Washington, DC based position that is currently temporarily remote due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a hands-on position (HR Department of one) requiring substantial HR experience in a growing non-profit organization. Responsibilities include strategic planning and structuring, talent acquisition and retention, performance management, compensation, benefits and retirement plan administration, employee relations, and training and development. The successful candidate will not only bring a requisite amount of human resources expertise, but also the leadership, communication and organizational skills to effectively influence and implement numerous priorities across the organization.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Lead an annual review of best practices in benefits & compensation in comparable organizations.
- Develop and execute a total compensation system, tools, programs, and policies.
- Select and negotiate with benefits plan providers and maintain strong working relationships with the vendors.
- Serve as point of contact for employees on all issues related to benefits and compensation administration.
- Manage time away from work requests in Paychex working with directors and employees to execute process.
- Track all DCFMLA, FMLA, COBRA, and other legally required labor reports.
- Establish and maintain a competitive benefits & compensation strategy that aligns with the DC market and industry standards.
Recruitment & Staffing
- Conduct job analyses and write future job descriptions that accurately reflect the requirements of positions.
- Direct the employee performance management program, ensures that managers are competent in assessing and evaluating employees, and ensures that all employees receive respectful and effective performance appraisal on an annual basis.
- Post job vacancies internally and externally to job boards.
- Establish and manage recruiting function including setting up an applicant tracking system, training other staff on hiring practices and establishing appropriate documentation and confidentiality.
- Conduct a yearly review of the employee handbook and policy manual to ensure it meets the requirement of changing laws and the needs of the organization.
- Direct employee relations activities across the company including investigations and remedial intervention efforts, balancing the needs of the affected employees and legal compliance considerations.
- Counsel and coach management and employees on disciplinary actions and performance issues proactively.
Additional Key Projects/Tasks
- Work with the COO to shape strategy that aligns and moves towards continued growth
- Be a subject matter expert to HR processes and policies
- Continue building and refining CAIR’s remote work culture
- Work with the finance department to ensure quality control of payroll and benefits
- Manage and document the merit increase process and employee change requests
- Manage monthly wellness initiative
- Write and deliver internal communications to help with change management
- Provide support and guidance to staff when complex sensitive issues and questions arise
- Maintaining internal communications with the management team
- Mentor and develop managers skills related to administration in their departments
- Develop annual Paychex HR training calendar for management and employees
- Continuously evaluate the organizational cultural climate that may impact performance and to build a respectful and culturally diverse team
- Execute an On-Boarding and Orientation program for new employees
- Liaison with the business community, outside agencies, colleagues, managers, directors, vendors, contractors, and consultants
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in Human Resources with a minimum of 4 in a managerial capacity
- SHRM CP or SHRM-SCP related certification preferred
- Extensive knowledge and experience with the concepts and principles of one or more areas of the HR field
- Demonstrates a high degree of judgement, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of HR employment related laws
- Professional demeanor and ability to work effectively with staff, consultants, and vendors
- Proven ability to work well under pressure, address high-risk situations quickly, and professionally
- Ability to plan and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to influence others and manage conflict effectively.
- Experience in investigations and risk mitigation
- Non-profit experience strongly preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must
- Ability to perform limited travel, as required (currently suspended due to COVID-19)
- Special projects as requested by the Chief Operating Officer
Compensation: Compensation commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications. Compensation package also includes retirement benefits with limited employer match starting 6 months after start of employment, as well as medical, vision, dental benefits and vacation, sick, personal, bereavement, and voting leave benefits. There’s and EAP (Employee Assistance Program). The option to contribute to an FSA (Flexible Spending Account) or HSA(Health Savings Account).
To apply: Please submit a cover letter with résumé, a writing sample, and a list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.