Position: Staff Attorney (Full-time salaried)
Location: CAIR’s Capitol Hill Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
Reports to: National Litigation Director
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Brief Description: CAIR is seeking a talented Staff Attorney to join its civil rights department at this crucial time in our nation’s history.
The Staff Attorney will be primarily responsible for:
- Performing legal research and drafting of legal documents, including answers, motions and other routine court filings
- Drafting written work product, including legal and research memorandums and other legal documents, as requested
- Drafting demand letters and engaging in alternative dispute resolution to resolve civil rights cases outside court intervention
- Representing clients during FBI interrogations
- Assisting trial attorneys with various aspects of litigation, including, but not limited to, client interviews, factual investigation, legal research, discovery, preparation of trial documents, negotiations, trials and appellate work
- Participating in speaking engagements pertaining to civil rights issues facing the American Muslim community
- Training and coaching of CAIR staff as requested
- Attend continuing legal education seminars and keep abreast of changes in the law through reading or other means
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments and meet deadlines; must be able to work well both independently and in a team environment
- Basic knowledge of federal court practice
- Excellent legal research, writing and oral skills
- No disciplinary actions on record or pending
- Ideal candidates have a minimum of 3 years prior associate-level experience in civil rights
- An understanding of civil rights issues relating to American Muslims
- Passion for the mission of the Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ability to communicate in language other than English is a plus
Compensation is commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications. Compensation package also includes retirement benefits with limited employer match starting 6 months after start of employment, as well as medical, vision and dental benefits starting on the first day of the month following 60 of employment, and discretionary leave benefits.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter with résumé, samples of relevant work, a list of three references, and current/target compensation to firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference “Staff Attorney Search” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.