CAIR-NY is a chapter of the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization. Our vision is to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding. Our mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims. For the past two decades, CAIR-NY has sustained steady progress and established roots within the Muslim community by expanding our services, strategic partnerships, and the reach of our programs. We hope to extend the services we provided to the more than 1 million Muslims in New York with the addition of a Community Program Coordinator (CPC) who will lead timely community outreach efforts, expand educational programming, and improve data collection of bias incidents and hate crimes.
CAIR New York is looking for a passionate and talented individual to be our full-time Communications Coordinator. Join one of the most dynamic teams serving the American Muslim community. This position aims to strengthen American Muslim civil rights and civic engagement, while also improving the image of Islam and American Muslims in the media.
- Assist communications team in developing and implementing a communications strategy designed to further company objectives
- Manage the CAIR-NY website with current content
- Write a variety of different content to support communications and marketing efforts, including community updates, fundraising emails and letters
- Prepare press releases, organize news conferences, and coordinate media interviews
- Proactively work with journalists and influencers for strategic coverage of CAIR-NY work, Islam and American Muslims
- Assist in creating periodic CAIR-NY publications such as the annual report and other educational materials
- Providing digital and print marketing support for CAIR-NY programs and events
- Post social media content, increase social media presence/following, monitor analytics and create reports detailing the successes and failures of communications campaigns
- Managing graphic design, photography, layout, video editing and other multimedia needs and databases
- Monitoring local and national news for coverage of Islam, Muslims, hate crimes, national security, civic engagement, and other relevant issues
- Ensuring all communications adhere to CAIR’s core values, mission and branding guidelines
- Other duties as assigned
- All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications/Public Relations/Journalism or equivalent, relevant work experience
- Excellent written and oral communication and managerial skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, SquareSpace, EveryAction, Canva, Adobe PhotoShop, and all major social media platforms
- Experience with video production and editing
- The annual salary is $45,000 – $55,000, dependent on experience. CAIR-NY is invested in the professional development of its staff. The Communications Coordinator will have access to mentors throughout the CAIR network. Benefits package includes, but not limited to, paid vacation, sick days, and health care.
· Please submit (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position (1 page), (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your writing (max 5 pages), and (4) the names and contact information of three references via email to email@example.com. The subject line of your email should include your first and last name and “Communications Coordinator Application.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.