CAIR-WA is seeking an attorney with a demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and in serving diverse communities. We are looking for a motivated individual with a strong passion and interest in representing discriminated individuals in front of administrative bodies and courts. The candidate will be expected to use creative legal and grassroots advocacy solutions to address systemic issues facing the American Muslim community.
Practice Areas: Civil Rights/Civil Liberties (Religious Freedom, Discrimination), Employment, National Security, and Police Practices.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate legal intake process, case selection, case referral.
- Conduct community education and outreach including Know-Your-Rights presentations on issues of discrimination, bullying, and law enforcement interactions at mosques, community centers, and college campuses.
- Participate in all aspects of litigation including, but not limited to, client interviews, factual investigation, legal research, discovery, preparation of legal documents, negotiations and trials in both state and federal courts; appear at administrative hearings.
- Consult on approximately 300 intakes annually along with non-legal writing including drafting community advisories, issuing briefings, and drafting reports.
- Build or maintain relationships with clients, affected communities, elected officials, law firms, law schools and legal clinics, allied legal groups, and other key stakeholders to advance the organization’s legal and policy work.
- Travel for outreach including participation in some community events and coalition meetings (depending on the pandemic; travel will only be resumed once it can be done safely).
- Participate in legislative advocacy as needed in consultation with the policy and advocacy team.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent research, oral, and written communication to interface with community leaders, government officials, and staff in a professional and effective manner.
- Legal knowledge and experience with common civil rights issues impacting Muslims in America, including but not limited to workplace accommodation and discrimination, bullying, travel detention, law enforcement surveillance, etc.
- Familiarity, cultural competency, and experience interacting with Muslim audiences.
- Understanding of legislative issues and policies both locally and nationally.
- Ability to participate in all stages of complex litigation and to formulate and implement sophisticated legal strategies.
- Ability to work cooperatively and to communicate effectively with attorneys, other staff members, and diverse community organizations and coalitions on a variety of projects in legal and non-legal settings.
- Comfort and familiarity in public speaking at mosques, community centers, legislative meetings and other public facing events, to a variety of audiences.
- Some evenings, weekends and off-hour work will be required. Some travel will be required. Having your own car along with a valid driver’s license is strongly preferred.
- Must have a Juris Doctorate and be licensed to practice law in Washington State
- 1-3+ years of litigation experience
- Familiarity with civil rights issues impacting the Muslim community
- The salary range is between $55,000 and $70,000, depending upon experience.
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, vacation and sick leave, and a retirement package with employer matching.
- CAIR-WA is invested in the professional development of its staff. The hire will have access to mentors through the CAIR Legal Network, will attend an annual legal training held by CAIR National, and will attend lobby days in both Olympia and D.C.
- The organization will cover attorney bar fees and CLE courses.
- Please email: (1) cover letter, (2) resume (3) references and (4) one short (approximately 1-page) writing sample to: nalsaleh @cair.com with the subject line “Civil Rights Attorney.” No phone calls please.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. CAIR-WA is an equal opportunity employer.
- Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
- Pay: $55,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
- CAIR Washington staff are currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance