The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization with chapters across the country. The national headquarters is located on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.
CAIR's vision is to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding. Its core mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR is seeking a full time Chapter Coordinator, based in its Washington, D.C. headquarters. This position will report to the Chapter Development Director.
The Chapter Coordinator will primarily be responsible for:
- Work with the Chapter Development Director to build and expand the capacity of CAIR chapters in advocacy, community service, fundraising, governance, and programming
- Engage in outreach to promote CAIR’s work in potential areas for new CAIR chapters
- Provide support in the development, coordination and empowerment of current and potential CAIR chapters nationwide
- Ensure chapter compliance with organizational policies and procedures, federal and local nonprofit laws
- Coordinate projects and campaigns across chapters, creating more venues for collaboration
- Assist with in-person meetings and events for chapters0
- Work with department leads to coordinate recurring phone meetings for chapters
- Build chapter relationships & increase chapter employee morale
- Assist with outreach and coalition building efforts
- Assist with national and chapter fundraising efforts
- Other duties as assigned
- Travel, weekend, and hours beyond the traditional work week will be required
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated leadership, management, time-management and multi-tasking abilities
- A proactive disposition showing interpersonal skills; superior communication (both verbal and written); core computer skills
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments and meet deadlines; must be able to work well both independently and in a team environment
- An understanding of civil rights issues relating to American Muslims
- Passion for the mission of the Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Bachelor's degree or higher in related field
- Event planning experience preferred
- Previous or current CAIR experience highly preferred
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, samples of any relevant work and a resume to email@example.com.