Position: Full-time salaried
Position Summary: The Civil Rights Advocacy & Grassroots Organizing Manager will be a full-time salaried position based in CAIR’s Washington D.C. headquarters that reports to the National Litigation & Civil Rights Director.
The Civil Rights Advocacy Manager will be primarily responsible for:
- Advocating on behalf of individuals and communities whose civil rights have been violated through non-legal means, including victims of hate crimes, school bullying, employment discrimination in the workplace, discrimination in prisons, as well as Islamic institutions denied zoning rights.
- Working with corporations, educational institutions, health facilities, law enforcement, government agencies, correctional facilities and other entities to implement and promote policies that protect diversity and inclusion
- Providing religious and cultural trainings to corporations, educational institutions, health facilities, law enforcement, government agencies, correctional facilities and other entities in order to help these entities reflect cultural competency in their attitudes, policies and services
- Mobilizing the Muslim community and its allies through grassroots and social media campaigns to raise awareness and bring positive change regarding civil rights issues facing the American Muslim community and other communities
- Establishing and maintaining meaningful relationships with organizations and policy makers with similar goals and coordinating joint grassroots and social media campaigns regarding common issues
- Scheduling and participating in speaking engagements pertaining to civil rights issues facing the American Muslim community and other communities
- Arranging for and conducting in-person and online webinar trainings pertaining to civil rights issues facing the American Muslim community
- Drafting and producing civil rights content for informational materials for distribution
- Drafting, designing and producing shareable civil rights content for social media campaigns
- Drafting, designing and producing training materials and providing training of CAIR staff and community members upon request
- Organizing programs, conferences and panels
- Draft and prepare talking points, platforms and position statements for the organization and department
- Representing CAIR in media interviews upon request
- Travel and work weekends and outside business hours
- Other tasks as assigned
Skills and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably no legal background/J.D.
- Prior experience in advocacy and grassroots organizing preferred
- Excellent communicator, writer and creative thinker
- Possess creativity and initiative
- Ability to communicate in languages other than English is a plus
- Strong understanding of civil rights issues relating to American Muslims
Salary commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Compensation package includes retirement benefits with limited employer match starting 6 months after start of employment, as well as medical, vision and dental benefits starting on the first day of the month following 60 days of employment, and discretionary leave benefits.
Please submit a cover letter with resume, a portfolio of relevant work, a list of three professional references, and current/target compensation to email@example.com. Please reference Civil Rights Advocacy Manager in the subject line.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. CAIR’s mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.