Position: Communications Manager (Full-time salaried) Location: CAIR’s Capitol Hill Headquarters, Washington, D.C. Reports to: National Communications Director
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Brief Description: CAIR is seeking a creative, accomplished social media and mainstream media strategist to dramatically increase CAIR’s public education impact at this crucial time in our nation’s history.
Carry CAIR’s mission and vision with various audiences through duties that include, but are not limited to:
- Drafting and editing news releases, media kits, action alerts, press statements, and other communications materials
- Compiling and distributing daily digital newsletter
- Publishing communications materials on CAIR’s website
- Producing video, print, digital, and graphic materials in support of strategic marketing and communications campaigns
- Managing social media campaigns accounts to engage audiences to maximize communication of CAIR’s mission and vision
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on that information
- Collaborating with other departments (government affairs, civil rights, etc.) to manage issues and to coordinate actions
- May represent CAIR in media interviews
- Other duties as assigned
- Limited travel may be required.
- Demonstrated success in innovating and implementing social media and mainstream media campaigns
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field
- Ability to speak and write in a clear and understandable manner for internal/external communications.
- Excellent news writing and editing skills. Experience in AP Style.
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Thorough knowledge of social media tools, including YouTube, Twitter and Facebook.
- Knowledge of media databases and tools such as Cision, TVEyes, Meltwater preferred
Compensation: Compensation includes a salary between $45k and $60k commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications. Compensation package also includes retirement benefits with limited employer match starting 6 months after start of employment, as well as medical, vision and dental benefits starting on the first day of the month following 60 of employment, and discretionary leave benefits.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter with résumé, samples of relevant work, a list of three references, and current/target compensation to email@example.com Please reference “Communications Coordinator Search” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
CAIR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In addition to federal law requirements, CAIR complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.