Title: Communications & Outreach Coordinator
Position Type: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Areas of Focus: Digital media, print publications, journalism, and marketing
Location: Dallas, Texas
Position Overview: CAIR DFW is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill the newly created Communications & Outreach Coordinator position. Join one of the most dynamic teams defending civil rights on behalf of the American Muslim community.
Time Commitment: Full-time with periodic evenings and weekends required for presentations and community outreach events.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
● Developing and strengthening relationships with journalists, editors, bloggers and other media professionals
● Preparing news releases and organizing news conferences
● Writing opinion pieces and letters to the editor
● Conducting as well as coordinating media interviews; preparing statements and talking points
● Proactively work with media to generate comprehensive coverage of Islam and American Muslims
● Directing media campaigns and projects
● Maintaining website and social media presence including regular updates and the creation of original content
● Sending out email newsletter and updates to community members regularly
● Leveraging social/digital media to develop relationships with the community and keeping community informed
● Assisting D.C. office with media work around national issues and campaigns
● Providing digital and print marketing support for CAIR programs and events
● Managing graphic design, photography, layout, video editing and other multimedia needs
● Acting as primary coordinator and point person for all CAIR-DFW and affiliated events.
● Creating marketing materials such as posters, fliers, print newsletters, e-mail newsletters, and announcements while upholding brand awareness and standards in all marketing materials
● Researching & implementing use of new technologies to enhance CAIR-DFW’s communications (as needed)
● Ensuring all communications adheres to CAIR’s core values and mission
● Facilitating the research and development of content for publication including annual reports
● Supervising interns to support communications department needs
● Working with Islamic centers, MSAs, and other faith communities and communities of color on a variety of social justice issues
● Recruiting and establish relationships with volunteers and community activists
● Providing presence at relevant organizations’ (colleges, nonprofits, mosques, etc.) events, activities, etc.
● Delivering CAIR-DFW public educations programs, interactive workshops, training sessions, and forums
● Other duties as assigned
All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
● A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications/Public Relations/Journalism or related field
● 2 to 4 years of experience, post-graduation
● Excellent oral communication and writing skills; knowledge of AP style preferred
● Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic
● Experience working with non-profit organizations and Muslim community desired
● Must have capability to work on multiple projects or tasks at a time
● Excellent oral and written communication and managerial skills to interface with media professionals, community leaders, volunteers, donors, and staff in a professional and effective manner.
● Strong organizational and time management skills
● Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook software
● Working knowledge of Constant Contact and WordPress; NationBuilder a plus.
● Familiarity with Google Analytics (preferred)
● Ability to work well on tight deadlines
● Experience with public speaking
● Experience working with the American Muslim community
● Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout North Texas for events and outreach
● Conversational proficiency in Arabic, Farsi or Urdu (preferred)
● A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
This position reports to the Executive Director.
● Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
● Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, holidays and vacation.
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your writing, and (4) the names and contact information of three references, to: email@example.com with the subject line “Communications & Outreach Coordinator”.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. CAIR-DFW is an equal opportunity employer.