Reporting to the CAIR-Florida Regional Operations Director, the Government Affairs Director (GAD) is primarily responsible for overseeing all aspects of CAIR-Florida’s legislative agenda and political mobilization activities, sets annual event and program goals for CAIR-Florida, and oversees their execution. The GAD also ensures execution of CAIR-Florida’s Vision and Mission.
Vision and Mission
CAIR-Florida’s Vision is to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR-Florida’s Mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
ResponsibilitiesLeadership & Management:
- Responsible for maintaining collaborative relationships with stakeholder communities in Florida that include nonprofit organizations, federal, state and local government entities, adult educators, and advocacy- and faith-based groups. Through these relationships, the GAD will advocate for the needs of American Muslims.
- Responsible for mobilizing local communities and allies for CAIR-Florida events including annual banquets, Ramadan fundraising and other events by coordinating activities, scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of CAIR-Florida coordinators throughout the state.
- Responsible for mobilizing state-wide communities and allies on relevant government affairs issues including anti-Sharia bills and Islamophobic comments by public officials by coordinating activities, scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of CAIR-Florida coordinators throughout the state.
- Monitor legislation and policy activities, advise appropriate staff members about applicable policy proposals and actions in order to analyze potential impacts, represent American Muslims in developing public policy, and present testimony to legislators.
- Responsible for developing a wide range of materials in support of CAIR-Florida’s government relations agenda such as action alerts, legislative summaries, factsheets, and reports. With this information, the GAD will develop a comprehensive, proactive project program that incorporates organizational values to actively participate with community based coalitions to include educational seminars, workshops, and discussions programs.
- Responsible for developing and managing non-Legal volunteers and interns to help execute CAIR-Florida’s Vision and Mission.
- Organize Annual meetings with federal, state, and local representatives to present factsheets on issues of importance to their constituents. Develop relationships with members of each community to help them communicate with their representatives and other government leaders.
- Create and distribute non-partisan voter guides that clarify the candidate’s positions and explains amendments, organize candidate forums, lead Get-Out-The-Vote campaigns and phone banking. Mobilize state-wide Muslim political leadership for Muslim Capitol Day. In unison with associates, conduct polls, gather data, and publish studies and articles on relevant issues.
Strengthen Community Relations
Actively engage and energize CAIR-Florida clients, stake holders, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
Serve as CAIR-Florida’s political spokesperson and proactively engage in government affairs.
- Bachelors’ Degree in political science, public affairs, public relations, communication or related field; substantial life experience may be taken into consideration.
- Five years of progressively responsible, professional experience in government relations is required.
- Excellent writing skills, able to communicate with others, familiar with media outlets and platforms, ability to solve problems, strong public speaking skills
- Valid driver’s license
Any CAIR Florida Office- Tampa, South Florida, Orlando or Panama City
Please send cover letter, resume and references to Safiah Khan, Office Manager, 954.272.0490; firstname.lastname@example.org