The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. CAIR’s mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Description: CAIR is seeking an experienced Major Gifts Officer.
Title: Major Gifts Officer
FTE: 1 FTE (full-time) /Exempt
Reporting to: National Executive Director
The Major Gifts Officer will play a critical role in meeting the organization's ambitious fundraising goals, and will have responsibility to cultivate, solicit and steward gifts from generous individual donors. This position works collaboratively and strategically with the Director of Development to build a pipeline of major donors, solicit/close major gifts and steward donors appropriately. The Major Gifts Officer will report to the National Executive Director.
Duties and responsibilities
- Cultivates and solicits assigned major gift prospects; ensures that donors receive proper acknowledgement, recognition, and stewardship.
- Prepares written donor proposals for major gift solicitations, maintains correspondence with donors and appropriate financial personnel
- Identifies potential major gift candidates
- Prepares call reports in a timely manner
- Attends management committee meetings; prospect review meetings; provides communication updates to management.
- The Major Gifts Officer will complete and maintain current data tracking for entire prospect/donor portfolio. This includes timely completion of contact reports, updating prospect stages, next step tasks, and proposals.
- Maintaining prospect/donor database and files.
- Writing and creating donor solicitations in a variety of formats for a range of donor categories.
- Generating reports from donor database and other contribution platforms.
- Managing donor acknowledgement systems and drafting letters.
- Cultivating donors and maintaining donor relationships for continued and increased giving.
- Assisting in the planning and coordinating of fundraising events.
- Coordinating with staff on various communications and social media initiatives, including drafting membership newsletters.
- Assisting with other organization activities and events as needed and other duties as assigned.
- Assist with the translation of Press Releases
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience with a nonprofit agency in a relevant area.
- Four or more years of experience in nonprofit fundraising and development.
- At least two years of experience with individual giving initiatives in a nonprofit setting, including online giving programs.
- Commitment to the agency mission and vision.
- Excellent and compelling writing skills, including a strong grasp of English grammar, punctuation, copy editing, and proofreading skills.
- Strong advocacy skills.
- Excellent organizing skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks, manage time, evaluate progress and adjust activities to complete tasks within established time frames and produce high quality work.
- Highly organized and self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and effectively with a team, as part of an organization, and with other organizations and other professionals; treats all people with dignity and a respectful attitude; accepts, acts upon, and offers constructive criticism; and approaches situations with a sense of humor.
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with features of MS Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, Word and donor database software (Nation Builder preferred).
Salary commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Compensation package includes retirement benefits with limited employer match starting 6 months after start of employment, as well as commuter, medical, vision and dental benefits starting on the first day of the month following 60 days of employment, and discretionary leave benefits.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter with resume, a portfolio of relevant work, a list of three professional references, and current/target compensation to email@example.com. Please reference Major Gifts Officer in the subject line.