ME: No Charges in School Ham Incident


ME: NO CHARGES IN HAM INCIDENT

A student who tossed ham on a school table occupied by Somali students last month will not be prosecuted by the Attorney General's Office.

But that decision, announced on Wednesday, will not have any bearing the school's handling of the incident.

The Lewiston Middle School student who placed the bagged ham has been suspended, according to Lewiston school officials.

Police who investigated found that no crime had been committed, and their part of the probe ended shortly after.

"We referred our findings to the Attorney General's Office," police Chief William Welch said Wednesday night. "And we support their decision."

From the start, there was debate in the community about whether the student's actions constituted a hate crime. Muslims consider pork unclean and offensive.

A 14-year-old Somali boy told the Sun Journal last month that he was eating at a table with four other Somali students on April 11 when the ham was thrown on the table. The teen said the ham was in a bag and that the student who tossed it laughed along with other students who witnessed the incident.

 


Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.