(WASHINGTON, D.C., 10/19/21) – On Wednesday, October 20, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), along with other members of the #BoycottHilton Coalition made up of more than 40 American and international organizations, will hold an online news conference to announce a call for the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Department of Commerce to conduct separate investigations of whether Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc. and the Chinese corporation Huan Peng Hotel Management are violating the law or otherwise acting counter to the foreign policy interests of the United States by contributing to the Chinese government’s ongoing genocide of Uyghur Muslims.
WHAT: Online News Conference to Announce Call for U.S. Departments of State and Commerce to Investigate Hilton Worldwide, Chinese Firm for Complicity in Uyghur Genocide
WHEN: Wednesday, October 20, Noon ET
WHO: Representatives of the #BoycottHilton Coalition
CONTACT: CAIR Government Affairs Director Robert McCaw, 202-742-6448, email@example.com
Hilton Worldwide has entered into an agreement with Huan Peng Hotel Management – one that it could terminate – to license the construction of a Hampton Hotel on the site of a bulldozed mosque in the Uyghur region of China.
In recent years, the Department of Commerce has added several dozen private Chinese corporations to the Entity List for activities connected to China’s genocide of Uyghur Muslims and other Turkic minorities.
Secretary of State Blinken has also warned American corporations that they “run a high risk of violating U.S. law” for “investments connected to Xinjiang.”
Last Saturday, the #BoycottHilton Coalition held an educational leafleting outside Hilton hotels in a dozen cities in the United States and Canada.
Video: #BoycottHilton Leafleting Protests Hilton Licensing Hotel on Site of Bulldozed Uyghur China Mosque
Video: #BoycottHilton Protest in West Haven, Connecticut
In September, the #BoycottHilton Coalition called on the UN Global Compact to begin the process of removing Hilton Worldwide as a participant over that corporation’s violations of its principles by entering into an agreement to license the construction of a Hampton Hotel on the site of the bulldozed mosque.
CLICK HERE: Read #BoycottHilton’s Letter to the United Nations
On September 16, the #BoycottHilton Coalition held a news conference outside the Capital Hilton in Washington, D.C., to announce a worldwide boycott of Hilton Worldwide.
Full Video: CAIR, Coalition Announce Boycott of Hilton Over Hotel on Site of Uyghur Mosque in China
The coalition also launched a Change.org petition drive asking signatories to take a pledge “to join the global boycott of ALL Hilton-owned hotels until the company cancels its plan to establish a hotel on the site of a bulldozed Uyghur mosque in China.”
On September 8, the coalition delivered a letter to Hilton headquarters in Virginia giving the corporation one week to end the agreement to license the construction of a Hampton Hotel on the site of a bulldozed mosque in the Uyghur region of China or face a global boycott.
Video: CAIR, Coalition Partners Give Hilton One Week to Cancel Hotel on Bulldozed Uyghur Mosque in China or Face Global Boycott
The Telegraph revealed plans for the project in June.
SEE: Hilton hotel to be built in Xinjiang after China demolishes Uyghur mosque
*Organizations in the #BoycottHilton Coalition include:
- Uyghur Human Rights Project
- World Uyghur Congress
- Campaign for Uyghurs
- Free Uyghur Now
- Justice for All
- Belgium Uyghur Association (Belgium)
- ChinaAid Association
- Citizen Power Initiatives for China
- Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
- The International Campaign for Tibet
- Justice and Liberties for All Committee (France)
- Muslim Council of Britain (England)
- No Business With Genocide
- Türkiye Dernekler Federasyonu / Federation of Associations of Turkey
- U.S. Council of Muslim Organizations (USCMO)
- American Muslim Alliance (AMA)
- American Muslim for Palestine (AMP)
- Baitulmaal for Relief and Development
- Burmese Rohingya Association of North America (BRANA)
- Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago (CIOGC)
- Dar Alhijrah Islamic Center
- Downtown Islamic Center – Chicago (DIC)
- Helping Hand for Relief and Development (HHRD)
- International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT)
- Islamic Association of North America (IANA)
- Islamic Center of Chicago Western Suburbs (ICW)
- Islamic Center of Detroit (ICD)
- Islamic Community Center of Illinois (ICCI)
- Islamic Center of Naperville (ICN)
- Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA)
- Islamic Leadership Council of New York
- Islamic Shura Council of Southern California (ISCSC)
- Mercy Without Limits (MWL)
- Mosque Foundation (MF)
- The Mosque Cares (Ministry of Imam W. D. Mohammed)
- Muslim American Society (MAS)
- Muslim Legal Fund of America (MLFA)
- Muslim Ummah of North America (MUNA)
- Muslim Forum of the Pacific Northwest (MFPNW)
- New York Majlis Ashura
- North America Imams Federation (NAIF)
- Together We Serve (TWS)
- United Muslim Relief (UMR)
- United Hands Relief (UHR)
CAIR’s mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
Become a Fan of CAIR on Facebook
Subscribe to CAIR’s Email List
Subscribe to CAIR’s Twitter Feed
Subscribe to CAIR’s YouTube Channel
Follow CAIR on Instagram
Donate to CAIR
Do you like reading CAIR press releases and taking part in our action alerts? You can help contribute to CAIR’s work of defending civil rights and empowering American Muslims across the country by making a one-time contribution or becoming a monthly donor. Supporters like you make CAIR’s advocacy work possible and defeating Islamophobia an achievable goal. Click here to donate to CAIR.
CONTACT: CAIR Government Affairs Director Robert McCaw, 202-742-6448, firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, email@example.com