(WASHINGTON, D.C., 07/30/2021) – The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, is calling on all Americans to urge their representatives to support Congresswomen Ilhan Omar’s adoption of Global Migration Agreement Act and Stop Arming Human Rights Abusers Act.
The Global Migration Agreement Act centralizes the human rights of migrants, and integration of migrants into their new countries. The Stop Arming Human Rights Abusers Act provides for the imposition of sanctions with respect to foreign countries that are in violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law, and for other purposes.
Introduced in the House by Rep. Omar, and co-sponsored by Rep. Ayanna Pressley, the Global Migration Act would:
· Create a binding international migration agreement, and lays out the principles and rights on which such an agreement should be based;
· Provide global funding for crisis response involving migrants at risk;
· Recognize the increasing vulnerabilities of marginalized groups, including women and indigenous people;
· Establish clear consensus on the due process rights of migrants.
The Stop Arming Human Rights Abusers Act (SAHRAA) would:
· Impose universal human rights and humanitarian conditions on security cooperation with the United States;
· Require the U.S. State Department to actively work with the country in question to enact transnational justice for victims;
· Provide for the imposition of sanctions with respect to foreign countries that are in violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law, and for other purposes.
CAIR’s mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
Become a Fan of CAIR on Facebook
Subscribe to CAIR’s Email List
Subscribe to CAIR’s Twitter Feed
Subscribe to CAIR’s YouTube Channel
Follow CAIR on Instagram
Donate to CAIR
Do you like reading CAIR press releases and taking part in our action alerts? You can help contribute to CAIR’s work of defending civil rights and empowering American Muslims across the country by making a one-time contribution or becoming a monthly donor. Supporters like you make CAIR’s advocacy work possible and defeating Islamophobia an achievable goal. Click here to donate to CAIR.
If you would like join CAIR’s media list, please sign up here: https://action.cair.com/a/newsletters — For more information, email: email@example.com, CC firstname.lastname@example.org
CONTACT: CAIR Government Affairs Director Robert McCaw, 202-742-6448, email@example.com; CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, firstname.lastname@example.org