CAIR-CA San Diego Executive Director
Schedule type: Full-time, Exempt
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, San Diego office (CAIR-SD) is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill the Executive Director position. Join one of the most dynamic teams defending civil rights on behalf of the American Muslim community, promoting civic engagement, and building coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee and provide strategic leadership for a continued growth and development in the day to day operations and managing staff.
- Support the Board in the strategic planning process and develop and execute an annual operation plan and milestones to achieve the strategic goals.
- Report and maintain open communication with the Board on the progress toward organizational goals and other issues on a regularly basis.
- Develop and implement financial development campaigns and cultivate and diversify new sources of revenues. Increase donor-base through contributions from existing and new donors and organizational foundations.
- Oversee fundraising planning, implementation, and administration management. Develop and maintain contacts with key funding sources, and collaborate with the Board to achieve fundraising goals.
- Oversee the financial management within the approved budget and ensure healthy and positive financials.
- Maintain and enhance existing relationships and develop new strategic relations with local Muslim community, other organizations, and interfaith leaders through coalition building on a regular basis.
- Monitor local media and develop and implement a communications plan utilizing various media venues to promoting the organization’s programs. Develop and nurture personal relationship with key people in the local media.
- Develop and disseminate news release, newsletters, action alerts, press statements and talking points for the community and media outlets. Act and conduct interviews as the public face of the organization.
- Meet with the local elected officials to advocate on issues that affect the Muslim community, collaborate with civil rights organizations on common causes.
- Develop and establish programs, educational events, and campaigns to advance the mission of the organization and empower and the community and the youth.
- Oversee and maintain the legal department and establish a client and attorney relationship and complete the state and national reporting requirements according to the organization policy.
- Comply with the nonprofit compliance, financial and employee management, according to local, state, and federal laws and with regulations set by the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A university degree required, with preference for candidates with a Masters in fields of Non-profit Management, or a JD.
- Minimum of five years relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated track record of alignment and support for the mission and vision of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
- Nonprofit fundraising experience, including knowledge of fundraising techniques and strategies.
- An understanding of civil rights issues relating to Islam and American Muslims.
- Demonstrated leadership, management, time-management and multi-tasking abilities.
- Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments and meet deadlines; must be able to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- A proactive disposition showing interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication to interface with media professionals, community leaders, volunteers, donors, and staff in a professional and effective manner.
- Experience with and proficiency in public speaking before diverse audiences.
- Core computer skills such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Mailchimp, and Word Press.
- Ability to drive throughout San Diego for events, programs, and outreach.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience.
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
How to Apply:
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) resume, (3) writing sample, and (4) 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director.” No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.