CAIR SEEKS APPLICANTS FOR LEGISLATIVE COORDINATOR POSITION
Title: Legislative Coordinator
Location: Washington, DC
Resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
CAIR, America’s largest Islamic civil liberties group, has 32 offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR’s expanding Government Affairs Department coordinates nationwide advocacy work on issues of public policy.
Since its establishment in 1994, CAIR has worked to promote an accurate image of Islam and Muslims in America. Through media relations, lobbying, education, and advocacy, CAIR puts forth an Islamic perspective to ensure the American Muslim voice is represented.
The Indianapolis Star once reported that CAIR “has developed a reputation for being something of a pit bull in protecting the civil rights of Muslims.”
More information about CAIR is available at www.cair.com.
CAIR seeks a full-time Legislative Coordinator. Candidates for this position must demonstrate strong aptitude for advocacy work. The Legislative Coordinator will work closely with CAIR’s National Legislative Director to fulfill government relations, communications and administrative functions.
Among the Legislative Coordinator’s duties will be the following:
Government Relations functions:
* Tracking current events on specified topics and forwarding relevant articles and press releases;
* Maintaining relationships with partner organizations;
* Working with Congress, the Administration, federal agencies and other public service professionals
* Helping develop materials to encourage community participation in political advocacy and elections;
* Maintaining a database of CAIR’s Congressional relations
* Aiding senior staff working on legislative and policy issues
* Preparing and/or editing correspondence, presentations, legislative fact sheets, action alerts and other documents as needed;
* Maintain and expand e-lists that deliver CAIR’s message to Hill staff and provide community spokespersons with talking points and information about jobs in the public affairs sphere, and
* Reviewing and responding to incoming telephone, mail, e-mail, and fax communications.
* Managing the calendar and scheduling all meetings, appointments, conferences, and speaking engagements for the National Legislative Director, and
* Providing pertinent materials prior to meetings.
* Organizing all hard copy files, task lists, and call sheets.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Bachelor’s degree required;
* Passion for the mission of the Council on American-Islamic Relations;
* Ability to work independently and take initiative required;
* Diplomatic and professional communication skills required;
* Excellent writing and editing skills required;
* Strong organizational and time management skills required;
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook with internet research skills also required;
* Knowledge of PowerPoint and the ability to type 40 w.p.m. preferred;
* Excellent interpersonal skills to interact professionally within a diverse community, and
* Foreign language skills preferred, but not necessary.
CAIR offers an excellent package of benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. Additionally, time for attending regular Islamic prayers is built into the workday and Islamic holidays are paid vacation days.
For immediate consideration please forward resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to (202) 488-0833 and indicate Legislative Coordinator in the subject line. The Council American-Islamic Relations is an equal opportunity employer.