(WASHINGTON, D.C., 12/13/2017) – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today announced the filing of a human rights discrimination complaint with the State of New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions against a New Mexico-based convenience store for its discriminatory policy that denies service to Muslims.
Gorence & Oliveros, P.C. is co-counsel in the case.
“The civil rights movement sought to eliminate discriminatory signs denying service to members of the public based on their race, religion or national origin,” said CAIR Litigation Director Lena Masri. “We must ensure that we do not allow the bigotry of the past to resurface and be normalized in the form of Islamophobia.”
Signs posted on the windows of Mayhill Convenience Store included one that states in bold lettering: “Obama & other Muslims Not welcome here.” The sign includes a depiction of a Muslim man praying and a mosque. Several other signs contain racist and bigoted language, including the following:
- “We don’t like Obama’s white half either”
- “Where is the KKK When you need them?”
- “The zoo in Washington has an African Lion. The White House has a Lying African.”
- “Caitlin Jenner needs to give his balls to Obama. Jenner doesn’t want his and Obama ain’t got none?”
- “Colin Kaeperni*ger you overpaid Half Breed Take your millions and go back to Africa.”
- Another sign had a depiction of a noose hanging from a tree and next to it the words “Obama Swing Set.”
CAIR is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
La misiÃ³n de CAIR es mejorar la comprensiÃ³n del Islam, fomentar el diÃ¡logo, proteger las libertades civiles, capacitar a los musulmanes estadounidenses, y construir coaliciones que promuevan la justicia y la comprensiÃ³n mutua.
– END –
CONTACT: CAIR Litigation Director Lena Masri, (202) 742-6420, email@example.com; CAIR Senior Litigation Attorney Gadeir Abbas, (720) 251-0425, firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, email@example.com