(SUNRISE, FL, 4/21/2014) – Today, the Florida chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-FL), along with representatives of the Florida Muslim community, concerned parents, students, and citizens and organizations from across Florida, will hold a news conference to oppose proposed legislation (SB 864 – Instructional Materials for K-12 Public Education) that is rooted in anti-Muslim bigotry.
WHEN: Monday, April 21, 1 p.m.
WHERE: Florida State Capitol, 4th floor across from Senate Chambers, 400 S Monroe St, Tallahassee, Florida
CONTACT: CAIR-FL Community and Government Relations Director Ghazala Salam, (954) 309-4797
Senator Alan Hays filed SB 864 after some residents in his district complained that students were being taught about Islam in a “World History” textbook published by Prentice Hall.
Islamophobic Florida Republican Would Legalize Textbook Censorship
SB 864 has the potential to jeopardize the entire Sunshine State school system with an unnecessary law for a problem that does not exist by:
- Imposing a tremendous unfunded mandate on our school districts
- Depriving school districts of the state's “economy of scale” in textbook purchasing power
- Reducing Florida's influence over textbook content
- Opening the adoption process to social and political bias
- Threatening the constitutional requirement for a uniform system of free public schools