(HOUSTON, TEXAS, 12/31/16) – The Houston chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation's largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today condemned an arson attack and racist vandalism at a home in Highlands, Texas.
According to media reports, a Highlands homeowner awoke at 5 a.m. on Dec. 30 to find his SUV on fire and racial slurs spray-painted on the building and vehicle, including the phrase “N____ leave.”Â
“We condemn this racist vandalism, especially in light of the divisive atmosphere in our nation,” said CAIR-Houston Executive Director Mustafaa Carroll. “It is unacceptable that these types of racially-motivated incidents still happen.”
The Harris County Fire Marshal's Office is offering a $5000 reward for information leading to an arrest.Â The incident is being investigated as a possible hate crime.
CAIR and the American Muslim community has in the past expressed solidarity with Jewish, Christian, Native American, African-American, and Sikh communities in New Mexico, Florida, South Carolina, Maryland, Alabama, Massachusetts, South Dakota, Ohio, Texas, and other states following acts of hate, violence, vandalism, arson, or bombings.
- SEE: CAIR, Coalition Partners Condemn Latest Incident of Nooses Discovered in Calvert County, Md.
- CAIR-Cincinnati, CAIR-Alabama Condemn Nazi Vandalism Targeting Interracial Couples
- CAIR Condemns Threat and Vandalism Targeting Home of Jewish Professor in Oberlin, Ohio
CAIR's national headquarters in Washington, D.C. has noted an unprecedented spike in hate incidents targeting Muslims and other minority groups since the November 8 election.
- SEE: CAIR-OK Urges FBI to Join Hate Crime Probe of Pig Carcass Dumped at Islamic Center
- CAIR-LA Welcomes Arrest of Suspect in Stabbing of Muslim Near Simi Valley Mosque
- CAIR-NY Welcomes Sentencing of White Supremacist in Anti-Muslim Plot, Arrest of Man Who Assaulted Muslim Woman
CAIR-Houston urges community members to report any bias incidents to police and to their office by filing a report at: http://cairtexas.com/civil-rights/get-help
CAIR is America's largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
La misiÃ³n de CAIR es mejorar la comprensiÃ³n del Islam, fomentar el diÃ¡logo, proteger las libertades civiles, capacitar a los musulmanes estadounidenses, y construir coaliciones que promuevan la justicia y la comprensiÃ³n mutua.
– END –