(WASHINGTON, D.C., 8/5/2020) — The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today joined the “Stop Genocide in India” coalition in condemning the use of New York’s Times Square to promote the far-right Indian government’s embrace of militant Hindutva ideology, which has resulted in the destructive and deadly rise of anti-Muslim bigotry across India.
In a statement, CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad said:
“Islamophobia has escalated to the level of ethnic cleansing in numerous countries, including India. From lynchings, to pogroms, to the cultural genocide exemplified by the establishment of a temple on the site of a demolished mosque, anti-Muslim bigotry is government policy in India.
“The Muslim world and the international community must unite in opposition to the far-right Modi government before its fascist, Nazi-inspired ideology causes further damage to religious minorities.”
- On August 5, 2020–exactly one year to the day that India revoked article 370, removing Kashmir’s autonomy–Indian PM Modi laid the foundation stone for the building of a Hindu Temple at the site of the 16th century Babri Mosque Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh state.
- The mosque was destroyed by militant Hindu extremists in 1992 and ushered in nationwide pogroms, resulting in the murder more than 2,000 Muslims.
- Special interest groups sympathetic with Hindu nationalist (Hindutva) policies purchased ads in Times Square to celebrate the laying of the foundation stone.
- One of the companies pulled the ad in response to the pleas by a range of civil rights organizations.
- CAIR has drawn attention to the excesses of the Modi government and the danger of Hindutva ideology, calling upon the US government to develop a human-rights centered foreign policy towards India.
- Most recently, CAIR joined a broad coalition of local stakeholders in Washington State in condemning the duplicitous and anti-Muslim, Islamophobic actions of a Hindutva front organization.
CAIR is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to protect civil rights, enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
CONTACT: CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR Director of Government Affairs Department Robert S. McCaw, 202-999-8292, email@example.com; Afaf Nasher, Esq. CAIR-NY Executive Director, CAIR-NY, 917-669-4006, firstname.lastname@example.org; Ahmed Mohamed, CAIR-NY Litigation Director, 646-481-2103, email@example.com