(MINNEAPOLIS, MN, 3/19/18) — On Tuesday, March 20, the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations will join members of the state’s Muslim community at the 14th Annual “Muslim Day at the Capitol” hosted by Muslim American Society of Minnesota MAS-MN. The event will include a 9:30 a.m. rally in the capitol rotunda.
Minnesota’s governor and secretary of state are scheduled to appear at the event.
The annual event seeks to promote community engagement in local politics and to discuss issues of interest to the Muslim community with their elected representatives. This year, the topics of interest include Islamophobia, anti-Muslim legislation and gun violence.
WHAT: Muslim Day at the Capitol
WHEN: Rally starts at 9:30 a.m., Meetings with elected officials 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
WHERE: Rotunda, State Capitol
CONTACT: CAIR-MN Executive Director Jaylani Hussein, 612-206-3360, email@example.com
Register at https://www.masmn.org/mdac2018/
Muslim Day at the Capitol consists of three components:
- Training is provided for participants on how to interact with legislators and lobby for their concerns. The training is scheduled to start at 8 a.m. in Conference Room 316, 3rd Floor, State Capitol. A light brunch will be provided.
- A rally at 9:30 a.m. at the State Capitol Rotunda. All participants gather to hear elected leadership and community leaders speak to the Muslim community.
- Attendees go in small groups to meet with legislators and speak to them about Muslim concerns.
Scheduled speakers include Minnesota Muslim community leaders and prominent elected officials. From 11 a.m.-2 p.m. will be appointments with state representatives and senators.
Muslim Day at the Capitol Partners:
- AbuBakr Assaddique Islamic Center
- Abu Huraira Islamic Center
- Alif Center
- Al Amal School
- Al Madinah Cultural Center (AMCC)
- American Muslims for Palestine (AMP)
- Brooklyn Park Islamic Center (BPIC)
- Confederation of Somali Community Minnesota
- Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR)
- Darul Farook Center
- Dar Al Qalam Cultural Center
- Darul Uloom Islamic Center
- Gems of Light Academy
- Hikma Academy
- Iman Hussein Islamic Center
- Islamic Association of Mankato
- Islamic Center of Minnesota (ICM)
- Islamic Center of the Twin Ports (Duluth)
- Islamic Center of Winona
- Islamic Civic Society of America / Darul Hijrah
- Islamic Community of Bosniaks in Minnesota
- Islamic Community Center of Minnesota / Masjid Al-Iman
- Jaafari Islamic Center
- Mankato Islamic Center
- MAS Blaine Community Center (MBCC)
- Masjed Abubakr Al-Seddiq (Rochester)
- Masjid Al Ansar Islamic Center
- Masjid Al Huda (ICCC)
- Masjid Al Ihsan
- Masjid An Nur
- Masjid Ar Rahman (MCC)
- Masjid At Taqwa
- Masjid At Tawba (ICCC)
- Masjid Omar (24 Mall)
- Minnesota Deaf Muslim Community
- Muslim Youth Leadership Awards
- North West Islamic Community Center (Masjid Al Kareem)
- Pearls of Hope
- Rawda Community Center
- Reviving the Islamic Sisterhood of Empowerment
- Sisters Need a Place
- Shanta Link
- South Metro Islamic Center (SMIC) – Rosemount
- Tawfiq Islamic Center
- AbuBakr Islamic Center (Faribault)
- As Sunnah Islamic Center
- Muslim Society of Owatonna
- Daru Salaam Islamic Center
- Irshaad Islamic Center
- Islamic Association of North America (IANA)