Several NJ Muslims elected statewide to offices at local and county levels
(SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ, 11/7/18) – The New Jersey Chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-NJ), today recognized the historic string of victories by New Jersey Muslim candidates in Tuesday’s midterm general elections.
CAIR New Jersey congratulates community members on the following electoral victories:
- Assad Akhtar, Passaic County Freeholder
- Mohamed T. Khairullah, Mayor Prospect Park
- Alaa Abdelaziz, Councilman, Paterson
- Hazim Yassin, Councilman, Red Bank
- Sadaf Jaffer, Councilwoman, Montgomery
- Salim Patel, Councilman, City of Passaic
- Mussab Ali, Jersey City Board of Education
- Mariam F. Khan, Dennis Township Board of Education
- Mohammad M. Ramadan, Passaic County Board of Education
- Alaa Matari, Councilman, Prospect Park
- Adam Chaabane, Woodland Park Board of Education
On election night, CAIR live tweeted reactions to general election results. Follow CAIR-NJ’s Twitter feed at @CAIRNJ and Facebook feed at www.facebook.com/CAIRNewJersey and follow hashtags #MuslimsVote and #MyMuslimVote. Many CAIR chapters have also posted reactions to local and national election results using their social media channels.
“We offer congratulations to the Muslim candidates of New Jersey, many of whom have run for public office for the first time,” said CAIR New Jersey Executive Director James Sues. “Their victories reflect the diversity and spirit of inclusiveness that characterize the state of New Jersey and the growing positive role of American Muslims in our society”
Next week, CAIR and Jetpac will release a joint report surveying successful campaigns and organizing strategies employed by American Muslim candidates. Its findings include a trend that American Muslim candidates and campaigns prioritized broad social justice-oriented policies such as equitable housing, healthcare, and employment and did so by working across traditional political boundaries and through various levels of office.
CAIR’s mission is to protect civil rights, enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misiÃ³n de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensiÃ³n del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
– END –
CONTACT: CAIR-NJ Government Affairs Director Jay Rehman, 908-668-5900, email@example.com