(SANTA CLARA, CA – 2/19/2020) – On Thursday, February 20, the San Francisco Bay Area office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-SFBA) will host a press conference with Secretary of State Alex Padilla and civil rights leaders to oppose Santa Clara’s Measure C.
When: Thursday, February 20 at 1:00pm
Where: CAIR-SFBA Office, 3160 De La Cruz Blvd., Suite 110, Santa Clara
- CAIR-SFBA Government Relations Coordinator Sameena Usman
- Secretary of State Alex Padilla
- Former Assemblymember Paul Fong
- La Raza Roundtable Chairman Victor Garza
- San Jose/Silicon Valley NAACP Executive Board Member Bill Armaline
- Wes Mukoyama the plaintiff in the lawsuit against Santa Clara for violating the California Voting Rights Act
What: Padilla, Fong, Usman, Garzza, Armaline, and Mukoyama will be joined by legal experts and voting rights advocates to oppose Measure C. Measure C reduces Santa Clara’s council districts in half, going against a previous Superior County Court order that established a six-district system. This was in response to the city being found in violation of the California Voting Rights Act.
CAIR-SFBA is an office of CAIR, America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to protect civil rights, enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
CONTACT: Zoha Raza, Communications Coordinator, 408.418.6902, firstname.lastname@example.org