(BALTIMORE, MD., 11/3/20) – The Maryland office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is urging Maryland lawmakers to sign the “Count Every Vote” pledge to demonstrate their commitment to ensuring the integrity of our elections.
SEE: “Count Every Vote” Pledge
“Fair and transparent elections are the hallmark of any democracy,” said CAIR’s director in Maryland Zainab Chaudry. “As concerns mount about reports from across the country of legal challenges to throw out votes or mail-in ballots not being counted, CAIR strongly urges every lawmaker in Maryland to uphold the trust placed in them as elected officials by publicly reaffirming their commitment to preserving faith in the election process and signing this pledge.”
The pledge reads:
I AGREE TO:
- Vote and publicly encourage my constituents to vote.
- Insist on counting of all lawful ballots under applicable state law before agreeing that election results are legitimate.
- Inform my constituents that I will take all measures available to me to contest any results that do not include the counting of all lawful votes.
- Publicly support people who peaceably demonstrate in favor of all votes being counted.
- Insist on a peaceful transfer of power if a complete and legal vote count requires it.
CAIR’s local office is part of the “Count Every Vote Maryland” campaign that was launched last month by a group of Baltimore Quakers and has grown to a network of over 60 sponsoring faith and civic organizations asking elected officials to support non-violent protests and help prevent any efforts to undermine the election.
Dozens of lawmakers in local, state and federal government have already signed the pledge.
CAIR is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
CONTACT: CAIR Office in Maryland Director Zainab Chaudry, 410-971-6062, email@example.com; CAIR Government Affairs Intern in Maryland Huzzaifa Muhammad, 443-636-1809, firstname.lastname@example.org