CAIR-Sacramento Valley is looking for a passionate and talented individual to become our Immigrants’ Rights Center Managing Attorney. Join one of the most dynamic teams serving the American Muslim community. This position aims to increase access to and provide culturally competent immigration legal services to members of the Sacramento Valley immigrant community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Conduct client intake, prepare applications and petitions for submission to the appropriate agency.
- Represent clients before the USCIS and EOIR.
- Manage caseload and supervise related casework.
- Oversee efforts to strengthen program policies and procedures.
- Oversee work of volunteers, including law students and pro bono attorneys.
- Participate in community outreach and educational activities, including planning and conducting legal clinics.
- Work in, lead or form coalitions with other organizations and collaborating with immigrant communities.
- Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, legal articles and legal codes.
- Prepare legal documents such as memos, motions and appeals.
- Assess clients for other civil legal service and immigration-related needs and provide in-house referrals.
- Assist other staff in the production of internal and external reports.
- Write and secure grants from foundations and corporations to support immigrants’ rights work.
- Market immigration services.
- Other duties as needed.
- Law degree from an American Bar Association-accredited school.
- Member in good standing of a state Bar.
- 1-3 years of immigration law experience, specifically in areas of asylum, removal and naturalization.
- Strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability for meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with outstanding attention to detail.
- Comfort working productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience.
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the Sacramento region and beyond.
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity.
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission.
- Basic computer proficiency including knowledge of MS Office Suite.
- Knowledge of cloud applications such as SharePoint, Office365 and social media applications.
- Arabic, Farsi or Urdu proficiency.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS & LOCATION
The Immigrants’ Rights Attorney will be based in CAIR’s Sacramento office and report to the Executive Director.
Time: Full-time with occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- BAR membership, CLE funding support and malpractice insurance
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your writing, and (4) the names and contact information of three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Immigrants’ Rights Attorney.”
Position is open until filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.